Need help picking an MP3 player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Reid K, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

im currently in the market for one of the big gig MP3 players and after some research two have caught my eye.
    1. The ipod (how can you not reconize this)
    2. The Nomad Zen NX. (seems like a great deal for the price)
    Now keeping in mind im only spending around $450 canadian (can get zen nx or a low 10 gig ipod pretty) I got a few questions

1.Which one has the easier to organize all the songs into folders? keeping in mind my plan is to have several folders each about the size of a CD.
    2. I have a noman IIc and dust keep accumulating under the screen, and is really bad to this day. So I was wondering will this happen with either the Ipod, or the new Zen?
    3.Once the battery in the Ipod dies is there anyway to replace it?
    4. Just how much bigger is the zen compared to the ipod?
    5. If you had to pick one which would it be?
    Thank you so much for all the help, and I know there might be a lot of questions, but now that im back on allowance, I really dont have that much money sitting around anymore.

2. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

sorry forgot a few questions
    6. Which player sounds better?
    7. can you get a remote for the zen?

3. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I had to make the same decision a while ago, and I am realyl glad I spent the 629 canadian taxes in on my 15 gig ipod and will never ever look back.

The Ipod has done everythign right in my opinion, and I really dont see how the zen can be better. plus when you get the 15 gig ipod you get extras like a carrying case and remote which will cost you more if you get a smaller one or the zen I believe. I did some looking on the net as wella nd the ipod batery cant be replaced yet, but there are third pary companies who sell replacement kits for older ipods and they say they will have one for the new ipods by this january.

battery life ont he ipod is like 8 hours anyway and it holds more than you could reasonably want [​IMG]

take the plunge [​IMG]

5. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

Okay thanks. I wasnt worried about the 8 hours, but more that after so long every battery dies, and i wouldnt want to have to throw away an expensive machine like that just because of batteries. Also just wondering with the new ipods (all touch sensitive and such) they didnt make the 15 gig rights? I thought they just went 10, 20, 40 or something like that. please correct me if im wrong. Also at places like bestbuy or something do you think if I just got the 10 gig I could talk them into throwing in the case or something like that?

6. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

the new ones are 10, 15 and 30. the 15 and 30 come packaged with the extras, so i dont think you could get them to toss it in.

and hey if you are in university check the local university they sell apple cheaper than anywhere else.

7. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

Are you sure there is still a 15 gig in the new models? Looking at apple I only see 10, 20, 40. Also just wondering with an ipod if say I just wanted to make a whole bunch of play lists each around 20-30 songs long (1 class block for the most part) would I be able to do that?
    2. Would I be able to put different games on it?
    3. how much memory on the 10 gig is actually left when you get it since it is pre loaded with a bunch of stuff.

8. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I lost about 1.2 gigs on the 15, but most of that is from formatting and such, just like any harddrive. right now you cant get any more games on it that iknow of, but there are likely hackers who have fixed this.

and well wow, yeah there is no 15 gig anymore, i bought mine a month ago, and its already been replaced. i guess the 20 replaced the 15.

9. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

Okay cool any idea how much the 20 gig is? I cant find it on canadian sites. Also could you recomened a good store? If not ill try to talk my friend into picking it up for me since he gets 10% off any mac items, and ill just pay him back

10. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

okay I found the 20 gig at compusmart for 140$ more. Now do you think this is worth it? keeping in mind my computer does not have firewire, I want the case to help protect the ipod, and the remote is always nice.

11. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Yeah i think its totally worth it.

if you have USB 2.0 there is a cable for that.

again the ipod is the best one out there i have ever seen.