Need help picking a wireless router

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil VanHelden, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Phil VanHelden

Phil VanHelden Auditioning

I'm in the process of switching from a wired-only router to a wireless router (to eliminate a lot of cabling mainly), but I'm having difficulty finding one that successfully works with videoconferencing software like NetMeeting.

Anyone have any suggestions for WAP's that work with NetMeeting, handling both incoming and outgoing calls (preferably without going to the DMZ)?

Thanks...

2. JeffDurbin

JeffDurbin Auditioning

Go to D-Link's web site and then download the owner's manual for the DI-614+. It includes a 4-port hub.

It is on sale for $67.74 - $20 rebate at Best Buy and at Office Depot. That is a very good price. Plus, you can go to Office Max and price match it. Their price is $100 after rebate. They offer a 115% pricematch guarantee. That means they will givbe you 115% of the difference which should bring the price down to about $30 after rebate.

I am checking with tech support to see if I can use two of them in my home network instead of one of them plus a PCI card wireless node because those are about $50 - $60.

3. Phil VanHelden

Phil VanHelden Auditioning

I checked out the DI-614+, but I didn't see any mention specifically for Netmeeting (aka H.323) support. I'm a little leery of just jumping in without the manufacturer stating support for this.

Any other suggestions?