Need help picking a receiver... Onkyo Integra 6.2 vs. Harman Kardon AVR-510

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Kao, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

The Onkyo has DPLII and more power (100 watts/channel compared to HK's 80, while the AVR510 appears to have more features. What ultimately would win me over, is the sound quality of these two receivers. I don't have much experience with the two, and was only able to demo the 510, so I was wondering if anyone with experience could offer feedback on these two receivers? Also, how does Logic 7 compare with DPLII? Any ideas?

2. Paul_Psutka

Paul_Psutka Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    You're being fooled by marketing. The HK 510 has a much healthier power amp section. The HK weighs about 8 lbs more than the Integra. Sound & Vision magazine tests showed the HK 510 to have more power with all 5 channels driven and into 4 ohm loads than the Onkyo 696. The Integra 6.2 has the same electronics as the Onkyo 696.
    I've read that the Logic 7 Cinema and Music modes are very similar to Dolby Pro Logic II Movie and Music modes.
    The thing I don't like about the HK 510 is that you can't set your main speakers to small while having the bass redirected to the subwoofer, when playing 2 channel stereo analog sources like from a tape deck or CD player. It sends a full range signal to your main speakers. The bass management will kick in when using Dolby Pro Logic, so you're okay with watching VHS movies. Of course, the bass management works in the Dolby Digital/DTS modes too.
    I like how the Onkyo/Integra's allow you to switch between the mains full range, or the mains set to small with sub on at the press of a button. This is important to me for music listening.
    Take the preamp/processor of the Onkyo/Integra and match it with the poweramp of the HK and you'd have the perfect receiver in the $799 and under price range.
    I did compare the Onkyo 696 to the HK 510 at a store. Using the same CD Player and speakers, I had the salesman switch back and forth (with a switching system) between the receivers about 15 times. 90% of the time I was able to identify which receiver was which by the sound, and I was preferring the sound of the HK. Though, the Onkyo wasn't bad. It wasn't like a night and day difference. I'd give the HK a 8.5 out of 10 for sound, and the Onkyo an 8 out of 10. Note that we were using the analog outputs of the CD player, and were playing the speakers full range (no sub).
    Paul

3. Paul_Psutka

Paul_Psutka Stunt Coordinator

Mike, I was thinking about your question again, and I would highly recommend the HK 510 as long as you're more into movie watching than music. Or as long as you have large front speakers which sound good played full range without a sub when listening to CD's.
    I have Paradigm Studio 20's and a PW-2200 subwoofer, so I prefer to have the Studio 20's set to small, with low-pass and high-pass filters at 80Hz.
    I do enjoy listening to the Studio 20's full range at times, but for louder listening or bass-heavy music I want the bass redirected to the subwoofer.
    [Edited last by Paul_Psutka on July 28, 2001 at 09:35 AM]

4. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

I have the HK 510 and highly recommend it. Warm rich sound and PLENTY of power. Logic 7 is great. I thought I might be missing something with PLII, but since getting the HK I've never had second thoughts. In fact I had the HK 310 for a while and found it equally as good. The 310 at 50wpc blew the doors off my older Kenwood which was rated at 100wpc!
    regards,
    chris

5. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    The AVR 7000 has been reduced to $900 since the release of the AVR 8000. One Call has a refurbished 7000 for $700. If this is in your price range, it's an excellent receiver. The set up allows small settings to all speakers in all modes, of course.
    http://sql.onecall.com/ProductDispla...ProductID=8948

6. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

Thanks for the advice guys! I just decided on the AVR510, and went ahead and placed the order! I can't wait!