What's new

Need help picking a 27" TV (1 Viewer)

Kyle Kuklinski

Auditioning
I am looking to buy a new main TV to replace my TV that just broke (no lemon policy from Best Buy). It was a KV24FS100, and though I had to get it repaired 4 times, I still feel comfortable with Sony products because it was a floor model when I bought it. So no need to exclude Sony because of my past experiences. Also because this is a replacement TV I would like to buy it from Best Buy so I can use my store credit, while it would also help if it was a 27" TV so my service plan will transfer, though neither of these two options is set in stone. My hope is to spend somewhere in the area of $400-$800. This TV will be for my dorm room, which is around 12'x18', and will mostly be for watching cable and DVD's, but might also be for playing games. I have no external stereo so a good sounding TV is a major plus.

I've done my research by both reading this forum and looking at TV’s, and I have found a lot of TV's I like.

Right now my first choice would have to be KV27FV300. This set looks great, has a great picture, sounds great, and has the 16x9 mode. The only problem with this TV, other than the pink lines people have reported, is that Best Buy doesn't sell it, so I would have to spend my $350 store credit on something, which I would rather not do, but am prepared to do it if this TV is really that good.

My other choice in Sony would be the KV27FS200. The only reason I would get this one over the KV27FV300 is that they sell it at Best Buy. This one doesn't have the sound qualities as the 300 nor some of the other qualities that I would think make the 300 so good.

I've heard great reviews of Toshiba TV's from this board so I looked at those. Unfortunately these don't have the 16x9 mood, nor do they have picture in picture so I didn't look at these too closely, but I did look at some great 32" Toshiba's. On those sets the picture looked great, but I'm losing out on my service plan carrying over from my last TV if I go that big.

Another TV I looked at was Samsung's TXN2771HF. I really haven't spent much time looking at this TV so information on it would be much appreciated. My main concern is that the HDTV on it would be useless to me since I have no way of getting anything but regular cable in my dorm room and I've heard regular cable doesn't look that good on HDTV's.

My other option is to wait for each brand's new TV's to come out. Does anyone know the specs of the new TV's in this area? Especially the TV that is supposedly going to be this year's KV27FV300? My hope right now is that Best Buy will carry the new model.

Thanks ahead of time for your help. If you need any more info or have any questions feel free to ask.

Kyle

Bill Will

Screenwriter
If you can wait I would hold off until the new sets are out & see what they have to offer.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Could you hook up a progressive scan dvd player to the Sammy? I was thinking the Sammy also does 16X9 from the remote. I was in BB the other night and apparently Toshiba already has a few new sets out .

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Kyle the best deal I've seen so far, if the sets are any good, are the new Samsung EDTV's they are the 27" TXN2745FP & the 32" TXN3245FP. Both of these sets will do 480P for use with progressive scan dvd's & games & from what I read over at www.hometheaterspot.com that you can get into the service menu on these sets & turn them into HDTV sets by just changing one number in the service menu. Right now Circuit City has the 32" model for $699.99 & www.Jandr.com has the 27" model for $499.99 This is why I would wait maybe other companies will be coming out with EDTV sets? As far as Best Buy & Samsung goes, Best Buy has a lot of model numbers made just for them so I would check & see if they are going to carry any Samsung EDTV sets.

Karl, any tv set that is an HDTV set or a EDTV (like the Samsungs above) will do progressive scan & from what I've seen "ALL" Samsung HDTV's & EDTV's have the 16:9 Zoom button on the remote control.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Karl, especially if you can turn the 32" $700 EDTV set into a $1,000 HDTV set now that's what I call Bang For Your Buck :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks