What's new

Need help on whole house audio (1 Viewer)

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
We just moved back to Texas from Georgia and we're having a house built. I had the media room completely wired and for the first time (and with total agreement from my wife) I also added additional wiring for speakers in the main part of the house and on the patio. Now, I've got to figure out how to drive the additional speakers. This is something new for me. I have a B&K receiver with one set of zone B preouts, but I'm not sure what to do from there. I want to run everything through the receiver because I don't want to have to duplicate gear for a second system, and that's the way it's already wired. I only have 2 speakers in each additional location, and they don't need a lot of power, about 100w max each. I would like to be able to choose to run either set of speakers, or both sets at the same time.

I could ask a hundred questions, but it may be easier to just wait for some suggestions. Anyone else have a setup like this?

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
The correct answer depends on how automated you want things to be. Do you want to be able to switch sources, turn speakers on/off, adjust volume, etc via a remote control while on the deck? Or are you OK with having to physically go inside to the system and do all that? The simplest solution, with the least flexibility, would be to hook a two channel amp with A&B speaker outputs to the B&K's zone 2 preouts. More complex & flexible solutions would include an IR distribution system, a couple of universal remotes for the different zones, a multizone controller, & amp for starters.

At the very least, in addition to the speaker cable, I would run Cat5 cable to the remote zones for IR distribution. Depending on the distance from the remote zones to the main system, you may be able to get away with using an IR/RF remote, but I wouldn't count on it.

To give you an example, here's what my multi-zone system consists of. In addition to the theater room, I have 4 other zones. My theater preamp can not support all those zones, so I am using a Denon DRA-395 stereo receiver as the multi-zone controller. In addition to the speaker A&B outputs, the Denon has two additional zone preouts which I am powering with a pair of Audiosource AMP Twos. All of which can be turned on/off, volume adjusted, etc via remote control. For IR control I am using a URC-9910 IR/RF remote for each zone. Each of the sources connect to both the HT preamp with a digital connection, & the Denon with an analog connection. With this setup I am able to sit on my deck, & have full control over everything. I never have to set foot in the theater room for anything.

The only thing I am a little disappointed in is the range of the IR/RF remotes. If I am on the far corner of my deck, or the far end of my garage they do not work. The 100ft RF range they list is a little optimistic. 20-30 ft is closer to the reality. But then I am going through numerous wall, etc, so YMMV. I will probably end up running Cat5 at some point & go to a hardwired IR distribution system. Other than that it's great!

Hopefully this gives you some ideas.

-Dave

mylan

Screenwriter
Uh, sorry, that didn't work. Don't know how to do this but search this forum for "best way to do whole house audio". It might be 75 days back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks