What's new

Need help on Subwoofer connections... (1 Viewer)

EricTang

Agent
I just got an old Yamaha receiver model: RX-V870 and an old PSB Subsonic II (it has speaker wire connectors on the back along with other stuff) for free from a friend... I am just wondering if there is anyway I can use this with my current Denon 2802 receiver and Onkyo 150W powered subwoofer (got the sub for free from a friend as well..)?? I am currently using just a RCA subwoofer cable (AR) from the "subwoofer preout" to the powered Onkyo subwoofer.

I tried using a Y-adaptor to split the "subwoofer preout" from the Denon to both Onkyo and the PSB subs (I use another Y-adaptor for the PSB, because it has 2 RCA, L/R jacks) and it works.. Will it be better, if I connect receiver to the sub with a speaker wire first, then go to my front speakers (so the PSB handles the low frequency for the fronts) AND connect my subwoofer preout to the powered Onkyo subwoofer?? Where and How would I use the Yamaha stereo receiver?? If it's possible to use the Yamaha to power just the PSB subwoofer???

I would really appreciate if anyone can advise me on this.....

Thanks

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I'd stay with the split RCA. The are some films (along with CDs) that do not have a LFE track. In these cases only one sub will be working. By setting your mains to small and sending all bass (mains+LFE) to your subs you will ensure that both are functional, regardless of what media you're playing. With multiple high-end subs it may be worthwhile to experiment with your 2nd method (1+ sub for mains, 1+ for LFE)... just not with your current setup.

EricTang

Agent
Thanks!! I think I will stay with the Split RCAs for both subs for now, but I am willing to spend up to $500.00 USD for a new sub... Any suggestion??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks