Need help on several things

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Paul Cost, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Paul Cost

Paul Cost Auditioning

Jun 9, 2004
    I am moving into a rather old house, my wife wants to keep the feel of the house the way it is. But we both want it to be technologically modern.

Here is what I would like to do:
    1 One receiver for the entire house, i.e. surround sound, extra rooms, garden, and sun porch. Any suggestions?

2 I would like to be able to play MP3's from the computer, so they could play throughout the house and outside if needed. How can I do this?

3 In keeping with the feel of the house, my wife does not want to have in-wall or ceiling speakers. How difficult would it be to wire the house to have floor or bookshelf speakers in the rooms I need?

Sorry for the link of the post, but I would greatly appreciate any feedback anyone can give me. Thanks.
  2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jun 3, 1999
    Paul, if you are seeking general advice (as opposed to advice on specific models of receivers and bookshelf speakers), then we can let this query remain here -- the answers you get could be of use to other newcomers.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Aug 19, 2002
    1) There are a lot of ways to do whole-house audio, and this is a more advanced query. I am not familiar enough to know the best route, but it varies on how much you want to spend. Some systems can be extremely advanced, some can be based on fairly simple distribution amps and volume controls in-room for all the same source throughout, etc.

2) Connecting a computer is easy, you can either do the simple analog out with a headphone to stereo RCA adapter into an input on your receiver, or you can run a digital out to a receiver that way if you want to play DVDs and such.

3) You can have wire outlets for speakers wherever you want pretty much, though putting speakers in every room can be a design issue. I would try to plan out where you want things first and put the speaker wire outlets near there. In-walls and in-cielings are not very instrusive, though if you are picky about audio quality throughout, out-of walls are preferred.
  4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    Hi Paul,

If the house has a spacious attic, it won’t be hard. Anything else, it’s impossible to say without a site evaluation.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt
  5. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

Sep 28, 2003
    some of the new receivers have multi room capability, you will want some volume controls and probably a speaker switcher for the additional rooms, also depending on number of speakers and distances you may need another amp I have used an inexpensive pro stereo amp for those situations