What's new

Need help on separates (1 Viewer)

Dan Sloane

Grip
I pretty much have decided separetes are the way to go. I have a good deal on a Lexicon MC-1 at $1200. How does this compare to Outlaw 950(cheaper I know), Rotel 1066, B&K ref50, or? I have the start of a 7.1 system with ML Aerius i for L/R and Theatre for Center. M&K S150's for the surrounds x 4, no sub yet. HELP, I need opinions as I live at least 100 miles from darn near anywhere. By the way, I listen to about 25% music, not to critical, and about 75% movies/HT. Muchas Gracias!

Dan Sloane

Grip
Hi, in addition I will be obtaining a 7 channel amp or 7 mono-blocks like B&K 7207, Outlaw 770, 0o Outlaw m200 x 7

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
The Lexicon has Logic 7- which shouldn't be dismissed. I haven't heard a Outlaw, but apparently it's reasonbly OK for HT (according to a few other posts the MC-1 processing is far superior, and one of the best av pre-amps around for HT, bar the newer MC-8/MC-12)

I wouldn't buy a Rotel av pre-amp either. Look at Meridian & Lexicon. I have a MC-1 btw. Make sure you get the Version 4 of firmware on the MC-1.

Oh buy a sub ASAP- you're missing really low sub (~40hz and below) :)

You might consider a high quality 3 channel poweramp for the front three (ie Bryston 6B SST) and a Rotel/Outlaw 5 ch. 200W poweramp for surrounds.

BrianKR

Second Unit
I have a B&K Ref 50 and a Sherbourn 7/2100.
It has made a huge difference in my HT setup.
Do yourself a favor and add Sherbourn to your list of amps.

Dan Sloane

Grip
I've just read an article tha says the Sherbourn is the same as the Outlaw with a prettier face and a higher price

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
You must mean the Prepro - yeah that one is confirmed as an Easttech design. But I believe the amps are still in question.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Dan,

The MC-1 is a good choice provided you don't need component video switching, 2 channel analog bypass, a 5.1 analog input (for a SACD/DVD-A player), or balanced connections. If any of those features are going to be required in your system in the near future, I would opt for the Ref50 from your list.

Michael

Dan Sloane

Grip
Ernest...YEA the Sherbourn looks like a great amp, 7 toroidal transformers etc, etc, etc. Seems better for roughly the same amount of money as the Outlaw770 but "pertier". I am researching reviews now to see how it compares but I take it you like yours?

Michael...Thanks a bunch buddy, you got right to the issue. Component video switching is probably not feasible because the prepro sits about 50' as the cable travels from the RPTV. Do they even make component video cables that long? I don't do much 2 channel so I don't need 2ch analog bypass, but nI plan on sacd and have dvd-a so the 5.1 analogs would be missed. I don't understand enough about balanced connections yet. I am considering a sunfire cinema grand 5 channel amp for starters then add more later as I expand. It has balanced outputs I believe. Also still considering the Sherbourn or Outlaw 7 ch. The Ref50 just dropped in price, I can get one for $1650 new so I'm wating for the price to drop on used ones.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Yeah - the Sherbourn has been working out great for me. I'm still moving stuff around in my HT but for the most part it's been pretty great. I'm considering doing some bi-amp on my mains since I only have 5 speakers. That's a good advantage of the Sherbourn since it's 7 monoblocks within the same chassis.

BrianKR

Second Unit
I sold my 5/5210 and just purchased the all new 7/2100 yesterday to make the switch to a 7.1 setup. It's basically the same amp but it has a different face plate with a led for each channel used.
New Sherbourn

Minesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
I also will second the vote for the Sherbourn. I have the "old" one, and it is unbelievable. Gobs of power, with balanced inputs, remote trigger capability, and just generally solid (at about 115 lbs that's no joke).

For pre/pro, have you considered the Anthem AVM20? I bought one used for about $2200, and it has so many features & flexibility it'll satisfy almost any HT'ers needs. Check out the mega thread to read more about this awesome prepro & the company that stands behind it.

Dan Sloane

Grip
Yes I have considered the Anthem AVM 20 and I think that is my goal for an ultimate and semiaffordable prepro, but finances you know. I can pick up a Sherbourn PT7000 and 7/2100 for $2620 delivered so I was thinking of going that way. Then later upgrade to the avm20 if I need to. What do you think?

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I'd go for the Sherbourn 7/2100 amp but I think you can do better than the PT7000 pre. Anyway you can swing the Ref. 50 new or used?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks