Need Help on Picking the Right Video Editing Software

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Travis W., Aug 10, 2004.

1. Travis W.

Travis W. Second Unit

Okay, I've got a complication. Here goes:

I filmmed a short movie on a Hi-8 camera a few months ago. I tried to edit it using Dazzle but it crashed. Then I tried Premiere but the audio is out of sync (uploaded it several times to no avail). Now I'm looking for a cheap yet effect video editing software (under 100 bucks if possible). BUT I also need something to transfer my video through. My Hi-8 doesn't hook directly to the PC so I need something I can plug A/V cables into that hooks into the PC.

Thanks in advance.

2. Travis W.

Travis W. Second Unit

3. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    I tried that one out back when I had my HP Pavillion 650 machine and unfortunately it kept freezing up my machine and I never got it to fully function.

If you have a new(er) PC with lots of RAM and a speedy processor, you may have better luck.

May I suggest putting in one of THESE into your PC and capturing this way?

I just bought one cheap (around $40) on Newegg.com and so far the capture program seems to be working great. VERY easy to use.

4. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

Pinnacle Studio AV/DV works for me and my Hi-8. I got mine for around $75.

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    after you buy hardware, there are lots of freeware tools out there, i prefer virtualdub for the simple projects. very easy to use, and captures great video. well worth the price, too!

CJ

6. Travis W.

Travis W. Second Unit

Thanks for the help guys. I don't know if I told you this before but I'm only interested in making VCDs of my final product. I don't have a DVD burner.

7. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Pinnacle with a PCI card is only about 99 most places, sometimes on sale. The version that comes with the USB capture device is about 199 though.

8. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Premiere does not work well with MPEG video as source. Your source really needs to be AVI. I've tried that method many times, and the same thing would invariably happen - the video suddenly seems to double in speed while the audio remains the same.

I figured out the solution - DV capture. I pipe an analog source through a DV camcorder w/A/V inputs, feed that via firewire to the PC, and capture the video as AVI DV. It takes up more room, but there is no real resolution loss when making edited movies (I'm using Premiere Pro as an example here).

The final AVI file is imported into Adobe Encore DVD, where I can select MPEG video bitrates and Dolby Digital bitrates to optimize picture/sound quality vs. storage space (max 4.3GB). I can add chapters, multiple languages and subtitles, although I am not utilizing menu creation at this point.

Works excellent!

9. Travis W.

Travis W. Second Unit

Yeah I really wish I would have paid an extra hundred bucks for a DV camera right about now.