Need help on picking speakers. I have $1700 to spend.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vlad D, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I need help on buying speakers. I was originally going to buy the Gallo Acoustics (my wife wants small and cute speakers) but one sales rep talked me out of them. He suggests the Def Tech or Paradigm (I can't remember which model). I'm supposed to meet with him this weekend so I can listen to them. Another sales rep, from another store also disliked the Gallo and sugested the Infinity Modulus, he has them on sale for $1200. Right now I'm really open to any suggestions, I've already talked my wife out of the "small and cute" idea. I have $1700 to spend and might be able to push it to $2000. I just bought the Denon 2802, Tosh 57HX81 and the Panny RP91 and I wanted compliment them with some decent speakers.

Thanks in advance,

Vlad

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Are you looking for a full HT setup or critical stereo listening?

Although not "cute", you can go with Dynaudio Contour 1.1's for about $1500 that would be great stereo listening speakers or you could go with something from their audience line (42's or 52's) that should provide you with much pleasure. You can probably get a pair of 52's and a pair of 42's for less than $2k, which will put you over budget for a Center Channel, but quality over quantity, no?

Or, you can try to get a full Paradigm reference line. You can probably swing a set of Studio reference 20's for both the front and rear and get the Studio ref CC for about $2K.

Other good lines include the Swans if you want to order via the net...those are beautiful speakers and you could probably go with the 2.1's all around with their center channel for about $1100 or so. I've never heard them, but have heard very good things.

I'm sure others will chime in here, but I'm staying with the bookshelves because of the "cuteness" factor.

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Would classy speakers work for your wife? What I'm thinking is marble nOrh 4.0 fronts ($1,075), ceramic 4.0 rears ($400), and an Adire Audio Rava ($400). Could also go with the wood 4.0 package for $775 and a prism 4.1 center ($275) and get dual Ravas or just about get the SVS of your choice and still be under budget.
    Go here for the Swan Divas.

4. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

Check the Def.Tech. Procinema packages,the 80's,100's,and 200's.You can mix and match.They are probably the best sub/sat system on the market in your price range.They sound alot bigger than what they appear.You won't be sorry.

5. BrentC

BrentC Agent

I will second the vote for nOrh. Let the wife take a gander and if the WAF is there go for it. There is a usefull nOrh forum at www.harmonicdiscord.com. I would recomend the creamic 4.0s all around. There are many colors avalable and I think if you ask they will do CUSTOM COLORS how cool is that!!! (note at the nOrh site the $850 speaker package seems to only be for the wood 4.0's but I checked into this and 5 Ceramics can be had for the same price.)
    $850-norhs(includes shipping)
    $750-SVS20-39pc[​IMG]
    --------------
    $1600(plus shipping on the sub)

6. Art_C

Art_C Stunt Coordinator

Well, if you don't mind buying speakers online I would suggest you look at Diva speakers. They are not exactly "cute" but they are simply one of the best looking speakers around, especially for the price. You can find them here:
    http://www.av123.com/divaproducts.html
    cheaphometheater.com has a good review of the speaker that you can read. You can mix and match between their towers, bookshelfs, surround and center speakers. If you go with the towers you might not need a sub. But if you do want a sub I would also suggest SVS or Adire Audio.

7. Thomas F

Thomas F Stunt Coordinator

I am going to vote for the Paradigm Studio Reference line. I have the 40's all around with a Studio/CC and a PW-2200 and am very happy. There are many favorable reviews online, and in the veneer versions, very attractive. I have not heard the nOrh's or Diva's, but they are also well liked, but I don't care for the look of the nOrh's. The Definitives are also good. For a subwoofer, be sure to check out the SVS subs as they are excellent.

8. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Thanks for the input guys. I discussed it with my wife and the "cute" factor is out. [​IMG] Now, I want to get the best speakers that I can get within my budget. Personally I don't like the look of the nOrh, and I'm skeptical about buying speakers over the net simply because I can't listen to them before buying. I'm going to take a listen to the Paradigms, Def Tech and I also want to listen to the B&W DM303. I'll let you what I decide.
    Vlad

9. BrentC

BrentC Agent

If you want to go the Brick and motor route I would also suggest Paradigms. Wonderful speakers.

10. Newell

Newell Extra

I've had the Def Tech Pro cinema 100 system. Great on movies but lacking (IMHO) on music. Then went to a NHT system (Super Ones and Twos). Better on music than the Def Techs but a little bright.

Now have the Vienna Acoustics Bachs and Haydns. Love them and the fit/finish in awesome (check out the rosewood). The Bachs retail for $1500/pr but you should be able to get them at a 20% discount.

I originally owned Acoustat 1 + 1s before I got the HT bug and the VA speakers come close to the imaging and depth the Acoustats had (my cats thought they were giant scratching posts). Martin Logans are great but to much $$$$

11. george king

george king Supporting Actor

12. Tom Fynan

Tom Fynan Stunt Coordinator

I would also put in a word for Magnepans. A pair of 1.6s would fit in your budget nicely. Maggies are, to my ears, the most natural and open sounding speakers available, and a great bargain to boot. Some people don't like planar speakers, but I have become convinced that they are the best way to listen to recorded music. My 1.6's also sound great as part of my HT. Of course, you have to have the space and the WAF to accept two 5 foot monoliths in your listening room.

Tom Fynan

13. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

I'd say listen to the Totem Arro too. Visually appealing, easy to place with sound that's hard to fault.
    Very real sounding on acoustic instruments and voices. Oodles of detail. Soundstage is very good.
    http://www.totemacoustic.com/NewFile...l#Anchor-33869
    There's links to reviews at that site too.