Need Help on PC Repair

Discussion in 'Computers' started by CalvinC, Mar 31, 2006.

1. CalvinC

CalvinC Stunt Coordinator

I have put all of my music on my pc and have it connected to my home system via Xitel device through the USB port. What I want to do next is install a new video card that has tv out so that I can set in my recliner and view my music files on the tv. My question is how hard is it to install a video card and do I have to go into the bios to deactivate the old video card which is part of the motherboard. The computer is a HP Pavillion 510n. Also any recommendations on a inexpensive video card with tv out?

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    yep, you may not have to disable onboard video, but i did in this machine. i never had to before, but there may be reasons why you wouldn't want to, such as the new video card failing after a while.

installing the card is very easy. search for tv-out cards at newegg. i have the nvidia 6600 chip, but that's probably overkill if you will use it for tv-out only.

CJ

3. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

One thing to check first. What sort of graphics card slot do you have in your PC?

It could be AGP or PCI-E or even neither, just PCI slots. Whichever it is, it doesn't really matter but you need to buy the right sort.

This may help:

http://www.crucial.com/library/pcie_agp.asp

You can get a video card with a TV out for about $25 if its just for connecting via s-video to browse your music folder, anything will do.