What's new

Need Help On New Speakers (1 Viewer)

carter

Auditioning
I have a new Yahama receiver and I am looking for a good speaker system to get my home theater going. I was considering both the Klipsch Quintets as well as Athena's Micra System. However, I have since read here that both these speakers may be too "bright" with a Yahama receiver. I would like to stay around $700-750 if possible and do not care for tower speakers due to space(and wife). I have a dilemma in that the only "high end" store in my immediate area carries only Bose, Definitive Tech, and Klipsch(though not the quintets). I would really like to hear the speakers before purchase and would also prefer not to order over the internet, though I'm not necessarily dead set against it. I could travel about an hour to find more shops, however, I would like to have something in mind when going shopping. Any help would be appreciated.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Since no one else pitched in, I will. I actually prefer a bright sound so keep that in mind. My vote would be for the Athena's. Some who own them have challenged their "bright" reputation. I wouldn't have a problem with the Klipch set-up either though. I think Your Yamaha has a nice little equalizer on board. You can use that to tone it down a bit if need be. Gene

JunoVazquez

Stunt Coordinator
Wait!!! ;) I use to have the DSP-A1 to power my Polk Audio RT series speakers. They sounded right and I believe it'll fit your budget.

GregoryKoz

Auditioning
Carter

Several months back I purchased the Klipsch line all around, including the RF3-II L/R and every speaker to match including center, rears and sub.

The sound is very crisp and clear- I would caution you to make sure that the receive you have won't conflict with the Klipsch line, as my speakers have a natural high to them that other speakers won't ( I guess due to the horn tweeters).

Anyway, look good and hard before you buy as I did, Klipsch seemed to deliver ALOT of bang for the buck. 6ave.com is offering really good prices, just don't pay what they list as price- they can always knock down the price considerably...

Good luck and happy hunting!

Greg

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
You should listen to both speakers systems with your new receiver to judge for yourself. One person's too bright is another person's accurate sound.

I own Paradigm speakers with a Yamaha receiver, which has also been classified as a bright combination. I personally like the sound from this combination.

Remember, the best sounding combination is the combination that sounds best to you. Let your own ears be the judge.

carter

Auditioning
Thanks for the input guys. I'm hoping to try to get out this weekend and try to listen to some different setups if I can find the right place, though I doubt I'll be able to do so with my receiver(Yamaha rx640). If anyone has any other setups they think might be a good fit, I'll gladly take suggestions. Thanks again.
Carter

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks