Need Help On New Speaker System

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by carter, Jan 1, 2004.

1. carter

carter Auditioning

I'm new to the home theater setup and I received some equipment for Christmas gifts that I had no clue about.
    I got a Yamaha rx640 receiver and the Bose Acoustimass 10 series II speakers. I was pretty pleased until I found this forum. My question now is what do I go with for the speakers? I know the speaker system was purched for $600-700 dollars and I can't really go over that much if any. I've read some of the suggestions on other brands and was wondering what a good setup in this price range would be. Particularly, I was looking @ the Klipsh synergy quintet system on the BestBuy website, but I can't find a price. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I've already installed the Bose speakers, including the rear speakers mounted on the wall, so hopefully I can find something that will fit right in.

2. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Well, I haven't heard them myself, but I would like to recommend Athena's new Micra Home Theater Package. I've been pleased with Athena's other work to date and the glowing review at the link below sure makes the Micra sound sweet. Just $549. Whether they are the best you can get for your $6-700, I don't know, but I can guarantee better performance than the Bose setup. No offense to those who purchased them for you. [​IMG]

http://www.onhometheater.com/product/20031115.htm

P.S. Nice receiver by the way. [​IMG] I love mine.

3. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Yeah good job on the reciever. Very nice. As for the speakers... I know those quintets should be fine. They are a great sounding speaker setup for size and price. I think they only run about $400-$500 U.S. with a sub. I think. But you could also just buy a nicer set of bookshelfs or tower and get everything else later. You could proably get a pair of rf-35 towers for that price.

4. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Yeah, piecing the system together is a nice way to go. That is the path I am on. I'm not sure where you live, but if you have a Tweeter close by, you should go in and have a look at Mirage's Omni 60 bookshelves. They are what I use. Tweeter has these bookshelves for half off! Regular $599 and they are now $299. Only these bookshelves though, not the rest of the Mirage line. But you could get two pair of Omni 60's, one for the front and one for rear surrounds for $600. Then you'd only have to add a center and sub down the road. The Omni CC center channel is $399. One sweet looking piece too. Anyhow, just a thought. You may not even like the sound or technology in the Omni 60's. But it's worth a shot. [​IMG]