What's new

Need help on new construction HT build (1 Viewer)

mjames9999

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael James
Hello all. I am building a new house. Do to wife acceptance factor (WAF) I am not able to use all of my B&W free standing speakers, subs and side and rear channels. She wants me to do everything with in-walls. Here is what I have so far:

Primary listening position is 13 feet from the 65" Plasma.
Plasma is mounted above the fireplace, 70" above the floor
Center channel will be 60" above the floor.
Fronts channels, Side channels and rear channels will be 40.5" above the floor. (ear level)
Sub is below the window. The window starts at 23" above the floor.
The front wall is 16 feet across.

Here are the compromises and concerns:
My rear left channel is directly behind the primary listening position.
My rear right channel is approximately 4.5 feet from my left
I cannot go higher than 40.5" in the rear left and right channels because these are mounted in a 1/2 wall
Location for front speakers is either 1) all the way to the left wall and to the right of the right window *or* to the right and left side of the fireplace.
If I go with option #1, I would assume I need speakers that have tilt capable tweeters toward the primary viewing position? Option 1 also would be a tight squeeze on the left wall..I may have to cut away some of the 2x4?..maybe..not sure. Option #2.. the right and left speaker would be fairly close together (its a 36" fireplace inset and there are 2 areas to the right and left they could be mounted, but again, its going to be tight.

Thoughts on this setup?
Also looking for recommendations of in-wall speakers? Looking for bang for your buck as budget is tight.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

These are picture of the spec home (not my actual home but close)

http://imageshack.us/a/img35/1300/84xv.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img401/653/9ojw.jpg

mjames9999

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael James
Also, would I want to use Dipole/Bipole Speakers in the 2 sides and 2 rears? Or would direct firing be better. Or would it be better with direct firing on the sides and dipole / bipole on the rears? I will be 40.5" off the floor for all 4.

mjames9999

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael James
For just the side channels and rear channels? or are you talking Ceiling for all of them?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Been using my phone all day, not looked at any pics you've provided.Is the couch going to be floating in the room, or are you going to put all your seating along the walls? Cathedral, is not an issue. Standard bookshelf speakers hanging from mounts would be preferred. Fishing speaker wire into those walls is going to be ridiculously expensive.

mjames9999

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael James
We have not started drywalling. We are at the framing stage only
We are using an L shaped couch sectional. The long part will go down the left wall and the short part is the primary listening/viewing location.
I would think that having side speakers at ear level would be the best? I can use direct firing, dipoles or bipoles. Is there a reason why not? As far as the rear channels, not sure at all.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Best would be a room where you didn't have to throw the entire "right way to do 7.1" out the window.Working within the confines of where the walls are, I'd do in ceiling.Last I did a cathedral ceiling, I had custom speaker mounts made with PVC pipe covered in aluminum tape, slipped inside clear PVC tubing. The speakers used were the Waterfall Audio Elora.Since the speakers are glass, and the mount appeared invisible...it worked.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Cathedral ceilings will invite a lot of reverberation. Sound will be muddled and harder to understand, especially with in-walls. You should look into acoustical treatments. Maybe your wife can help in this area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks