Need Help On New Christmas Gift

Discussion in 'Displays' started by carter, Jan 7, 2004.

1. carter

carter Auditioning

OK here's the deal. My wonderful wife surprised me with a Mits. 60111 4:3 set for Christmas. I am very pleased with the TV but I am a newbie and have only recently begun to learn of the newest technology coming out after finding this site. I am debating on whether I should try to return the set and go for a widescreen. I live in an area that will probably be well behind the times when it comes to HD. I mostly watch standard tv and occasional dvd's. However, with all that said, I don't want to be sitting in front of my tv in a few years and wish I had gone for the widescreen. Having read a little on here, I assume most will say yes get the widescreen, I just want to be sure and get as much info as I can. Thanks in advance.

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
  3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Hi Carter and welcome to the HTF. The standard HTF greeting also serves as a warning, for your wallet! :wink: Enjoy your stay.

Widescreen sets are definitely more "future-proof" but I don't want to be one to tell you what your needs are. [​IMG] I hate to say it but if all you watch is 4:3 NTSC television a 4:3 set is the best solution. Keep in mind that people are different, and although I have my 4:3 set turned on for NTSC cable most of the time I'd kill for a widescreen when I pop in a DVD. I just enjoy the movie watching experience more than casual TV use.. but again everyone's different.

When you say "in a few years" that's a good sign. I'd imagine most people update their displays in 3-4 years anyway. Then you can go for that sub-$2k HD projector. [​IMG] But yea take Tony's advice and check out AVS for HD broadcasting in your area.

4. John S

John S Producer

If your set gives you a large enough screen for you in Native 16:9 / 16:9 squeeze mode, then you will be ok with it, I am sure. I wrestled with this as well, but in the end went with a 60" 4:3 set, I watch a ton of HD content on it in native 16:9 mode, I get close to a 57" 16:9 full res screen from it. For me, I think it was the perfect product. So you are going to have to wrestle with this as well....

Godo luck!!!

5. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    don't forgetn to come back to this thread and tell us what you did.

6. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    guess he forgot.

7. carter

carter Auditioning

Sorry,
    Haven't forgotten, just have not completely decided. I went in and looked at the Mits. 65313 and 65413 this weekend and I am still weighing it over. I have gone back and forth on what to do, but I think I would rather be a little ahead now than left behind in a few years. I don't have the money to expect to get a new set every few years, so I need to spend wisely now. Plus I think I can deal with stretching 4:3 standard tv out for now. I talked to the salesman my wife got it from and will probably make the change this week. I think I will go with the 65413 due to the Quad Focus. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks again for input.
    Carter

8. John S

John S Producer

Ding ding ding.. Thanks for the post back on your choice...

For you Widescreen wins....

9. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I'd definetly go widescreen. Now as for HD progamming, you got satellite to wet your whistel. Also make sure it had a DVI input since it's my understanding that the new HD stuff will be using DVI with Copy protection through it.