Need help on making my horrible family room acoustically sound better. Please help

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by EddyObregon, Jan 30, 2004.

1. EddyObregon

EddyObregon Stunt Coordinator

Well guys both of my friends today told me that every time they go over to my house they get headaches because the sound is to echoey and bright. My friend actually gave me some very good advise but befroe i get to it let me explain some of the details of my family room.. As some of you know, my room is 15x12 and the ceiling is 12 foot high. I have no center rug in the family room and I have tile through out. I live in a 1 story townhouse and One of my side walls in the family room actually goes up only 10 feet which means theres still a opening that the sound escapes to other areas in the house. Also what doesn't help is that I have my infinity satellites in the rears up about 9-10 feet and the left and the rights mains up about 8 1/2 to 9 all this because my bookshelves are all being used with other electronic components. So not only is the room acoustically not balanced the speakers are way to high. Do you guys think that if i put a center rug in the room and i move the mains and rears down to ear level and put a rug under the sub that this will tame my sound enough in where I will no longer get a headache from listening to these speakers. Any more suggestions over my set up. Also if i upgrade my speakers and receivers will it still sound bright and echoey in the room. Right now I have a infinity in a box satellite package with a denon 1800 receiver. I feel things sound way to bright and echoey. I was thinking of upgrading to a denon 2803 or a yamaha 1400 with some paradigms monitors or perhaps B&W 600 series speakers. Can any of you help me on what I have to do to make my place sound better and will new speakers help or is it still going to sound awfully bright in the room.

2. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Eddy,

The first thing I would do is to tame the room with some acoustic panels. I also have a very bright room at home and am looking at getting some acoustic panels in the next few months to calm things down. Here is one web site that sells them...

http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/p.../alphasorb.asp

Once you get the acoustics of the room ironed out, then look at speakers as your next move into improving sound. Great speakers won't live up to their full potential in an acoustically terrible room. Finally, the AV reciever probably has the least impact on the sound you hear out of the three factors you listed.

3. EddyObregon

panels are nice and all but my wife wont let me put up panles. I need to try to do toher tweaks with our drastically changing the family room. Panels on the wall would make my wife go crazy

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Well, with hard walls and tile, you're going to need some pretty heavy absorbtion, which means rugs, panels, heavy curtains, etc. Use nice fabrics on the panels to make them fit into the decor, but you're going to need to do it.

Changing equipment won't change the sound of the room. The room is a very big component in any system, and designing a system to sound good in a very poor space is difficult, and a very bad idea.

I suggest you look into reading some beginners books on acoustics as well, such as the master handbook of acoustics by f. alton everest.

But with tile, I can imagine how horrible that space is. You're really gonna need to do something about that to have any hope for decent sound.

5. EddyObregon

any more help guys .I hate when i listen to my speakers its amazing how i start gettign light headed and i get a headache.

6. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Bottom line, you need to "deaden" the room somehow. Acoustic paneling is the easiest solution. If the wife won't let you apply some kind of absorption surfaces, you are stuck with the "bright and echoy" sound. Talk about it, panels can be very decorator freindly. They can be the same color as the walls or some pattern or whatever. What about wall tapestries or hangings?

7. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Puttin a rug down and lowering the speakers will help.

8. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Hey, take a look at these. They are still panels, but they are made of wood and some actually look nice. You might could put these all the way around the bottom half of your room and then put a chair-rail to make it blend into the room more.

http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/p...tems/wood7.asp

Also, if you have a drop-ceiling in the room (I know this is unlikely) you could replace it with an acoustical ceiling.

9. Patrick_C

Patrick_C Auditioning

www,axiomaudio.com/archives/roomacoustics.html

The above article addresses this topic. I am unable to post URLs yet. I guess I need to punch out 15 messages before I'm bestowed the honor of linking.

10. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

You can also try some wife friendly things I have read help. Try some book shelves, and plants. I am trying to tame some echoes in a family/dining/home theater room as well and panels are my wife's last choice. I have not had a chance to try the shelves and plants but I hear they can help at least a little bit.