Need help on how to setup Denon 3802 with Denon 2800 for component out?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luciano Pires, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Luciano Pires

I’m still new to all this HT cool stuff. HTF has been extremely helpful so far.
    Last night I had a little more time to continue figuring out how to setup all the components.
    Of course I encountered a problem that intriguing to me and I need your help again.
    Everything seems to work except for the component output on my receiver.
    I connected component cables from the output of my DVD player to component (DVD) IN on the receiver. Then connected another set of component cables from output of the receiver to the input of the TV. Seems straight forward enough.
    The problem then is when I switch on the TV to component input I don’t get any signal.
    The receiver is switched to DVD, because I can hear the audio of what’s playing.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Is there a setting that I missed or need to turn on? Either on the received or DVD player?
    The blue light indicator on the DVD player is on. Does this mean it’s using the component output or just means the player is in progressive mode?
    Help… Help…
    Thanks,
    LP
    Equipment List
    65” Proscan HDTV
    Denon AVR3802 – Receiver
    Denon DVD2800 – DVD player
    Paradigm Monitor 7’s – Mains
    Paradigm Monitor CC370 – Center
    Paradigm ADP170’s – Surrounds
    Polk PSW300 – Sub – (Will eventually replace it with SVS, It’s on the wish list)
    ------------------

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

First off a question: why are you choosing to run your component signal through the receiver? Do you have another component source and only one input on your monitor? If not I would recommend running the DVD video direct to the monitor - there is no advantage by running through the receiver. You're still going to have to switch inputs on the TV so you gain nothing in convenience. The component routing does not carry the receiver's OSD so nothing to gain there. And ultimately you may be compromising the quality of the signal itself.
    That being said have you tried hooking up your player directly to the TV inputs with both sets of component cables? Do you have multiple DVD video connections to the same input on the receiver (ie. S-video and component)? I'm not sure how the Denon prioritizes signals, if at all. I can't imagine this would be the case but is there a setup function in the receiver's configuration menu that needs to be changed (I have a 5700 and there's nothing like that, but the 3802 is a couple generations later). Do the other receiver video connections work?
    Troubleshoot as many different ways as possible, but ultimately I would suggest running straight to the TV.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

3. Luciano Pires

Jay,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I only using the DVD player with component cables. I will try your suggestion tonight.
    LP
    ------------------

4. BrianBHD

BrianBHD Agent

I had that problem initially. Basically, you need to set the video out properly with the DVD audio selection on the receiver. When you have changed inputs to DVD, then hit the video delect button and turn it to DVD. From then on, it will remember what video goes with the dvd audio.
    I decided to bypass the receiver anyway like was suggested above.