Need help on buying a PC Monitor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by bill lopez, Jan 10, 2002.

1. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

I my monitor is on it's last legs. I see $100 to $300 pc monitors but I don't know if it really makes that much of differance. So can you buds help me out? I do like to view my digital camera pictures a lot.

2. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Check out www.cnet.com
    They usually have great reviews and feedback from customers as well as the site pros themselves.

3. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

My recommendation is to go with a Trinitron-based display. In my experience they are simply the best-looking CRTs you can buy. Tiger Direct usually has some great deals on monitors.

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Do the Trinitrons still have the visible vertical lines due to the way the screen is built? Some people find that objectionable.

Ie, do they have two vertical lines roughly (if memory serve) 1/3 of the distance from the edge of the screen... some sort of supports for the underlying structure as I recall?

5. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

There are two very faint lines that run horizontally across the screen. They are only barely noticeable against a white or light-colored background, and they don't bother me at all. IMO, the lines don't detract from the clarity and color reproduction of the monitor.

6. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Trinitron all the way, unless the aforementioned lines drive you nuts. I never notice them unless I'm looking for them.
    Beyond that, Viewsonic makes good stuff. Not quite as razor-sharp as Trinitron, but very usable.
    Ryan
    PS - It's a bit outside your price range, but don't be tempted by the cheap flat panels. Apparently, these are like the bad old days of laptops when dead or lit pixels were considered OK. A friend of mine bought a Viewsonic flat panel with a few lit pixels and was told that up to a dozen was considered within spec. [​IMG]

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I also like Trinitrons. I've nevered compared them to the Viewsonic and such competitors.

Trinitrons have two stabilizing wires, approx. 1/3 of the way from the top and from the bottom of the screen. They cast faint shadows on the display that can be seen against light colors. I can see the two of them right now, now that I'm thinking about them. I've not known anyone who's been bothered by them.

regardless of which monitor you choose, there is a difference between mediocre and good monitors. I think it's worth the $$ to spend a bit more to get a good quality one.

8. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

I have a Samsung Syncmaster900IFT. It's the best 19" monitor I've ever seen. The colors are SO saturated. It's no longer made, it was replaced, I LOVE the colors in the Samsung true flat series though.