What's new

Need help on AV15 sub design (1 Viewer)

Hyun K

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to build my first DIY sub and have decided on the 24" cube enclosure w/ AV15 + 2 18" pr's. Problem is, I want to build 2 of these subs but stryke only has 2 18" pr's (I need 4).

I will build one sub with the 2 18" pr's but not sure what to do with the other sub.

So my question is, how do I make a sub that's ROUGHLY equivalent to the AV15 + 2 18" pr design without having the 2 18"pr's?

Can I instead use 3 15" PR's?
Is a port possible in this scenario given I have to stick with a 24" cube enclosure? If so, can anyone give any suggestions on the diameter, length, and the number of ports needed to build it.

Mike Keith

Second Unit
AV15 are one of the best IB woofers on the market, if you have a bit of attic space I would seriously consider an IB manafold and save you money for a good amp.

Hyun K

Stunt Coordinator
I was originally planning on doing an IB but wanted more output and lower extension so I'm switching to a bass-reflex design.

I am thinking about using four 4" flared ports (12 inches long) from adire.

Are there any rules of thumb on how to place these ports in relation to each other? How should these ideally be placed in a 24" cube enclosure.

I'm basically trying to get equivalent performance to an AV15 + 2 18" PR's without using the 2 18"pr's. I have to stick with a 24" cube enclosure.

Any help would be great using either PR's or ports.

LanceEAR

Agent

FYI, Using 8ft^3 and 4 4" ports, 12" long, I come up with a tuning of about 33.67 Hz. This may not be what you are looking for. Of course my calculations could be wrong :)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Also, those ports that Adire sells are 18" long, not 12" long. Only the center tube is 12" long. The port flares add another 6" to the total length.

Hyun K

Stunt Coordinator
Well I finally downloaded WINISD and gave it a shot. Pretty nice tool.

It says that I need a port that's around 66 inches long with a 4 inch diameter. Even if I make a port w/ turns in the box to make it longer, I don't think it's going to be possible to tune to 20hz in a 24" enclosure. Can't cheat physics.

I'm looking at passive radiator designs at the moment now. Just gotta figure out how to enter in all those t/s parameters in winisd pro. :angry:

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Hyun,

Just curious....do you already have the AV15 driver?
I tried to get an AV12 last week & there are none.
I dont know about the 15's.

Hyun K

Stunt Coordinator
I already have the AV15's. They are the older MK1 versions. I purchased them earlier this year.

michael.e

Grip
Hyun-just to be sure you may want to download SUBSIM ,just to be sure,as WINISD pro,although good,is still beta stage.

Although i have designed and built a subwoofer with winisd pro-its comforting when 2 programs match atleast

the PR specifications should be on the stryke site
I hope he sorts out his problems and continues selling his woofers!

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks