Need help on audio distribution in my house

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Range, Mar 14, 2001.

1. David Range

David Range Agent

I need some help. I'm trying to map out audio distribution to a couple rooms in my house and outside on the deck. I'll
    start off with some house info and hope you guys can give me a hand. The HT powered by a Denon 3200 will be located in the basement of a 2 story house(actually 3 if you count the basement) along with an extra Newcastle DLP receiver I purchased to run the JBL weatherproof outside speakers and hopefully to run the bass shakers for the HT. What I'd like to accomplish is to have in ceiling speakers in the dining room and kitchen on the main floor for mood music and the outdoor speakers on the deck, and the ability to add speakers in the 3rd level bedrooms at a later date. I'm trying to future proof the system as much as possible on a
    pretty small budget(about $1000). Volume control and the ability to switch between sources, radio, cd, not necessarily video in each room would be a major plus to avoid having to retreat to the basement to make any changes in the other zones.
    To top it all off, the house was built in the 20's so the main floor and 3rd floor have plaster walls so snaking wires will be a pain. Although I am able to run wiring from the basement up through an unused laundry chute to the attic and back down to the 3rd floor bedrooms for future use. Access to the deck is from the dining room so volume control for both rooms could be placed in the dining room or I suppose the kitchen which is right next to the dining room, so I could possibly kill 3 birds with one stone so to speak and mount all three controls in the kitchen, although the plaster walls will require some creative wiring.
    Maybe I've bitten off more than I can chew. [​IMG] I've been looking at the different audio distribution components www.partsexpress.com offers but they don't provide install and wiring details. If anyone has general suggestions, web links, etc, it would be greatly appreciated.
    David

2. David Range

David Range Agent

3. Blake Middleton

Check out www.smarthome.com. They have tons of the type of stuff you will need.
    ------------------

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    For distribution stuff look at www.hometechsolutions.com. For simple speaker volume swtiches, Niles makes nice stuff that is $80 - www.nilesaudio.com.
    ------------------

5. Allan Yates

Allan Yates Auditioning

The first question you need to ask is do you want the ability to play different sources in different rooms simultaneously. If so, then look at a controller such as one from Russound. If not, then your main concern is impedance matching so your amplifiers are presented with the correct impedance. The best way of doing this is with impedance matching volume controls from Sonance, Niles, or Russound. For remote control of your components, you need to get IR signals from the various rooms down to your basement. You can either have simple IR sensors in the walls, or use actual keypads (from Sonance, Niles, Xantech) that learn the IR signals and then transmit (over wire) to the basment.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Allan.
    ------------------
    Intelligent Interiors
    http://www.i2automation.com
    Sales, installation, service, and parts for:
    Lighting, Home Automation, Security, Audio/Video, Home Theatre
    Vantage, Crestron, Elan, Audio Request, Arrakis, Atlantic Technology, Sonance, Niles

6. David Range

David Range Agent

Thanks for the replies! There seems to be a multitude of options and configurations to pick from. The links provided
    so much info I'm overwhelmed. Allan, you cut right to the thick of it, and after some thought I've narrowed down my options. The first would be to have each zone play the same source which looks to be quite a bit cheaper, or as you pointed out, spend more and have each zone be able to use multiple sources. In this scenario, I figure I'd make it easier and have each floor be a different zone as the house is only 25' x 20' on each floor, and the rooms are so close together. I would like to be able to control each room's volume though.
    The benefits of a single source are lower cost involved, not as much wiring needs to be run(I hope). Leaving the equipment should I wish to sell the house will be easier with the lower cost involved. Not to mention I live alone, so I can't see much need in having multiple sources in different areas at the same time, but I guess that could change. [​IMG]
    For maximum upgradability, I figure I'll want 4 sets of speakers on the third floor, one for each bedroom and one bath with volume controls for each room. 4 sets of speakers for the main floor; LR,DR,Kitchen, and deck with the 3 inside rooms controlled by one volume control and the deck by a second control if possible. And in the basement, one set of speakers in the main room(HT speakers) and one in-ceiling stereo speaker in the HT bathroom.
    My main problem now is deciding whether I'll need an external amp to power all these speakers. I'm pretty sure the Newcastle isn't up to the task.
    David