Need help on an insurance claim

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom-G, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

In August, I was involved in an auto accident in which a man decided he wasn't going to stop his car at a red light and instead slammed into the driver's side of my car which left me with a cracked rib among other things.
    I received correspondence from the driver's insurance company that they would like to settle the claim after I was done with therapy.
    I finished therapy last week and I contacted the insurance agent. He told me that in about one month, after he gathers all of the medical documents, he will be in contact with me and that in the meantime, I should be thinking about a dollar amount that I feel is sufficient to settle this clam.
    I have full tort on my insurance and I don't know much else about insurance beyond that. How much should I be looking to get, if anything at all?
    ------------------
    As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
    AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'd reccomend a lawyer.. you'll lose 25-33% of your settlement but you'll get more in the long run. I'd expect about 3 times what your medical bills run, maybe slightly less.

3. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Philips advice to see a lawyer is, IMO, a good one. A lawyer who specializes in personal injury cases will think of things you won't. They do it all day long.
    We probably all have opinions about lawyers, but the fact of the matter is they are usually pretty aggressive about protecting their clients.
    Deane

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

Definitely seek the advice of a lawyer. Remember, insurance companies are in business to keep as much of their money as possible. They will not part with everything you are entitled to without a fight.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 3

5. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Believe me, the insurance company will be advised by lawyers.
    Deane

6. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Agreed here that you should be looking at getting a lawer ASAP. Don't correspond with them at all just have them speaker with your lawyer directly. Now after saying that I have to add the fact that I HATE Blood Suckers. But in this case you were the one in the wrong just dont let them talk you into going after money that is outragous, Dont abuse the system because the lawyer wants more money.
    Also they have been putting off setting a date to talk to you so make sure you know what the time frame is on the Statute of limitations for your state. In a lot of states if you dont file before a year then you cant make a case so be careful. Best of luck and I hope you get better soon without additional pain.
    KyleS

7. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Make damn sure that if you settle, you get some sort of deal for continuing medical expenses. If that rib acts up a year from now, you shouldn't have to cough up twenty grand for surgery. Don't sign anything if you don't know exactly what it means. And, the advice to get a lawyer is very sound. I also recommend you hire one.
    ------------------
    -Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

8. Erich_H

Erich_H Auditioning

I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago. Don't accept their offer. In my case, the insurance company offered me about 1/5 of what I eventually received. Get a lawyer.

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Well here's where I come from with the lawyer thing.
    a few years ago (3 or so) a drunk driver, driving a company van turned left across my lane in front of me, causing a head on at about 50 (I had a honda civic at the time)
    so I broke my right wrist pretty bad, had a cast from my thumb to above my elbow, and broke my left hand requiring surgery.. so I had no hands for like a month (that sucked)
    I tried to settle on my own, I got the $$ for the car and some stereo gear I lost (first soundstream reference amp i ever owned, missed it ever since). When it came time to settle, I told them I wanted 50k the chick LAUGHED at me and offered I think 11k maybe 15k I don't remember, yeah a lawyer got 3 times that offer.
    hahah and of course I pissed it all away on home theater gear and motorcycles [​IMG]

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

BTW it took over 2 years to settle that claim... mostly my own fault

11. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

30 000 + ALL costs(including lost wages) and continuing medical for 10 years.
    That's what I'd settle for.
    Brent L
    ------------------
    OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
    plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
    MEETS PAGE and register.