What's new

Need Help On Amplifiers (1 Viewer)

Luke Zhang

Grip
I am really new to HT so please bear with.

After some research and some help from people in this forum (one of the best I found so far), I am in the midst of buying a Toshiba SD4700 DVD-Player along with a JBL NSP-1 package along with JBL's sub. Now the reason why I decided to buy the 4700 is because it has a built-in decoder for Dolby, so to save some space in my cabinet without buying a receiver.

But do I still need an Amplifier for the speakers? Does the speaker package or the DVD player normally have Amp built-in? Or does the receiver has that built-in? If the last is the case, why would anyone buy a DVD with decoder since they'll need a receivre anyways for the amps.

Thanks for answering a newbie's question

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Luke,
First off welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here.
DVD players do not have built in amps and even speakers that are self amplified require something to adjust all the levels with. So at least a preamp would be needed.
Some people buy dvd players with built in decoders because they have older receivers that only have pro-logic but have 5 channel inputs. If they use the decoder in the dvd player then they can still enjoy Dolby Digital (and sometimes DTS).
So it looks like you'll still have to buy a receiver, sorry. :) It looks like you're off to a good start though.
Dan Hine

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
You are going to need amps from either a receiver or external amplifiers. If your looking to save space the receiver is the quintessential way to do this. I would look for a DVD player that does not have a decoder in it, and buy a receiver that does have said decoder. My reasoning is this. Chances are that any receiver you puchase will last several times longer than your DVD player will. Thus you will save on replacement costs in the long run.

Luke Zhang

Grip
Thanks everyone. So what's your suggestion on a good receiver/amp combo? I guess since I only need Doly 5.1, I can skip the luxury of a DTS decoder in the receiver.

This also means I can get the 3750 from Toshiba instead of the 4700. Anyone thinks that's a good idea?

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
There are many, many receivers out there to fit your needs. You will just have to start researching which ones offer the features you desire in the budget you have set aside. Onkyo, Harman Kardon, Denon, Sony, Yamaha, JVC, Kenwood, would be a good place to start. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks