Need help on a screen!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jeff Eberlin, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Jeff Eberlin

Jeff Eberlin Auditioning

Hi all, I'm just getting into the projector arena.. We're moving into a new house which has a bonus room. The down side is that the theater are has to share space with my pinball machines....

The room's only about 14' long, so I probably only have about 8' of viewing distance between the screen and myself. I'm getting the InFocus 4805 and am going to have it mounted in the Ceiling.

Anyone have suggestions for decent screens from $0-300?

Thanks!
    Jeff

2. trey-m

trey-m Stunt Coordinator

If you'll only be 8' away then you're not going to want a very big screen, so this will help keep the price down for you. If you're handy, some inexpensive DIY screens are done by painting (with special mixtures or screen paint) or making your own screen canvas. Both of those are easily under $100 and likely under $50 for a small screen. If you want a ready made screen then decide on the format first- here are some ballparks: Manual pull-downs will run you $50-$200, electrics about $150 and up, and permanent fixed mount screens perhaps $300 and up.

3. Jeff Eberlin

Jeff Eberlin Auditioning

Yeah... I want a fixed screen but the wife wants a pull down so that it's "hidden" when not in use. Any arguments I could use to persuade her towards the permanent mounting?

4. trey-m

trey-m Stunt Coordinator

She doesn't want a screen on the wall but she's ok with the pinball machines?!

The main advantage of permanent mount is that the screen is tensioned so it will have a smoother surface. There are some tensioned electric screens too- but they are much more expensive.

Also, even with a pull-down, when it's rolled up the enclosure will still be visible unless you hide that somehow- or take it off the wall.

5. lloydMon

lloydMon Extra

I'm using a DaLite model C high power with the 4805 and like it a lot.