Need help on a decision - Wide screen TV or Rear projection...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Noel_D, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Noel_D

Noel_D Auditioning

Greetings,
    I'm getting ready to make a HT. I'm currently considering a 65" widescreen. However, I've noticed that many are getting the rear projection TVs mounted in the ceiling. I don't know very much about these.
    Are they in a comparable price range ($3500)? Also, what are their advantages and disadvantages?
    Thanks

2. Pete B.

Pete B. Stunt Coordinator

You need to answer a few questions before we can offer any advice:
    1. What's your room size?
    2. Do you have light control?
    3. Do you plan on viewing regular television as well as DVD's, LD's, etc. and what percentage of the time?
    I'm sure you meant Front Projector vs. Rear Projector?
    Pete

3. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Noel,
    Rear projection is the term for TVs with the image that shines from behind the screen.
    "Font projection" is the term for these projectors that sit in your room and shine directly onto a wall or standard reflective screen.
    If you can dim or turn out the lights for watching movies...front projection is the way to go. Image size for image size...you can get a better picture than most RP televisions!
    There are many models and many different price points. For less than $5000, Sanyo makes a great projector that's 16x9 widescreen natively. For closer to 10,000, Sharp makes another great 16x9 WS projector. Theres even a decent (4x3, but will do anamorphic dvd) projector for around 2 or 3 grand, if you're not bothered by the "rainbow" artifacts of DLP projectors.
    check out avscience.com. Goto the forums section. check out the "digital projectors" area and there's lots to see and read.
    Also, are they any shops around you displaying these projectors?
    -dave

4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Also Noel, consider how much TV you plan on watching on this setup. Will you have an optional TV in the room for Dateline or Friends? Will you even use this room for TV viewing at all? Can you control the lighting?
    If you do not need TV viewing from the setup and can control the lighting, then Front Projection is certainly the most cost-effective way to go for the BIG screen feel. $5K will get you into 105" of HDTV quality picture with terrific brightness, etc.
    You CAN watch TV on the front projector, but using the BULB LIFE on such stuff seems a waste usually. I have had big sporting event parties, etc, on the big screen, but day to day I avoid turning it on for such programming.
    Be careful to avoid getting projectors made simply for showing business slideshows, etc. You want video grade projectors made explicitly with home theater in mind. They will be much better suited for the situation, both in quality/price and in features. DLP and D-ILA based are the most popular types of projectors right now. A good CRT based one can kick ass, but the cost of good ones runs into the $15K to $20K range at least. [​IMG]

5. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

6. Noel_D

Noel_D Auditioning

Thanks for all the replies. The room is 17-19'. I have control over the lights, but intend to watch TV a decent percentage of the time, particularly sporting events.
    I aplogize for my unfamiliarity w/terms. The "front projector", meaning outside the "TV box" and sitting somewhere in my room and projecting to a wall, seems to be good mostly for movies? If this is the case, it sounds like you all would advocate a large widescreen TV for my needs?
    Also, how much to bulbs cost for front projectors, and what is their life expectancy?
    Thanks again,