need help: nsp1 or Velodyne CHT speaker systems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidJohn, Sep 7, 2002.

1. DavidJohn

DavidJohn Auditioning

I'm planning on either getting the JBL nsp1 or the Velodyne CHT. I read about how good the nsp1 is for an entry level and was wondering how the Velodyne would be able to stand up to it. I found it for about $250. Here's the link: http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_9125.htm

2. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

David Just for your information, don't tell any one this. I used to work for velodyne and could get some people upset with me for telling this. The CHT speaker package was designed by a 30 year former JBL engineer. actually the whole CHT line of subs and speakers was designed by the same guy.

3. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Ummm... so?
    The Velodyne sounds better for HT and music IMO, but is more expensive.
    Are you saying they are the same speakers...

4. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

The Velodyne CHT's are awesome for movies. Very powerful bass.
    For music they can be a bit boomy and may need to be turned down a notch from the HT settings. Unless that kind of bass is what you like in your music [​IMG]

5. Michael Roderiques

Adil No they are not the same speakers. The CHT was originally planned to go up against the systems like the Take 5 and the likes.

Problem was Velodyne is not known for loudspeakers.
    When some one says Velodyne, the first thing people usually think is Expensive subs, not loudspeakers.

The CT, then CHT was to be a way to give the retailers an affordable speaker package and get the Velodyne name out in front of the customer.

The second problem Velodyne had was pricing the system. They priced them relatively lower than other products. the dealer markup was not that great. So when we took the units into the dealers and said listen to this set-up and it pretty much blew away the competition, the dealers said Well that is great, now how much do they sell for, we said $xxx.xx!
    of course the next question is what my price, and we said $xxx.xx! The next thing you know the dealer does not want it in house, why, not enough profit margin. not because of a poor product, they did not make 150% or more on it.

6. DanielN

DanielN Stunt Coordinator

Hmm, these speakers look interesting. If I were to take them and use them for surrounds in a 7.1 setup, what speakers can from Velodyne can I use for mains to keep the same timbre?

7. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

8. DanielN

Phil, do you know if JBL makes an S series speaker package like the NSP1? or even a place that sells the speakers as a package?

9. Michael Roderiques

DanielN said:

Hmm, these speakers look interesting,what speakers can from Velodyne can I use for mains to keep the same timbre?

Depending on your room size and what you are looking for If you can find any of the CHT-42 speakers,(centre)
    Get two more of them, use the three CHT-42's as your front, and the CHT-41's as side/surround.

I Had actually set that exact system up in the sound room and it worked quite well. We actually thought about marketing it as a package.

We tested this package against the Energy take 5 and 5.2, Atlantic Technology, The Anthony Gallo Ball things, and a few others that escape me right now. In testing, we used HGS, SPL, VLF and CHT subs.

10. Phil Iturralde

11. DavidJohn

DavidJohn Auditioning

So should I go with the velodyne or the nsp1? The velodyne cost the same as the nsp1 at http://www.onecall.com except you have to pay for shipping.

12. Michael Roderiques

Phil Iturralde

I went and looked at your link. I know those speakers.

When we submitted to sound and vision for the CT speakers evaluation, they wanted to do a small speaker package shoot out. The JBL folks put up a fuss about having the CT package in the mix.

13. DanielN

How much are you looking at for 4 S26's and a S Center Phil?
    It seems like every day my mind is changing on what to get. Right now im looking at the NSP1 and SVS sub however I could go lower on the sub (Sony sub everyone talks about) and 4 S36's. Decisions, Decisions [​IMG]

14. DanielN

Well to answer my own question the S series is probably out of the question for me. For a 7.1 system this will be too much $$$. Im just going to go with the N series and spend my money on the sub and receiver. Later on when if I get the bug to upgrade Ill get the S series or something else.

15. Phil Iturralde

16. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Here's my recomendation. I'm getting ready to do the exact same thing.

Get the NSP1 package, and use all 4 N24s as surrounds and back surrounds.

Then, get your choice of either N28s or N38s as mains. This way you have a full 7.1 speaker setup.

For the sub, go w/ the SVS if you can squeez it, or, like i'm doing, go DIY. I'm building a traditional Swan 305 that will almost hit 22hz +_ 3db. This is lower than the SVS 25-31 PCi, and with a 250W PE plate amp, it should go just as loud or louder.

My sub would probably come in around $240 in parts (bare mdf, until i figure out how i want to finish it), but i'm going to rob the 200W amp from my current sub and wait awhile before i get the 250W PE amp, just to spread out the spending.

The NSP1 package can be found as low as $245 shipped on yahoo shopping.

I'm getting the N28s for around $120 shipped from ebay. They're around $170 shipped on yahoo shopping. The N38s are around $270 shipped on yahoo shopping.

17. Eric_Lakes

Eric_Lakes Agent

David,

Go with the Velodynes!!! match this with the CHT-80 and you have yourself one sweet system. If there was a big price difference then go with the JBLs but since the only difference is shipping cost (and also white speakers), you cant lose by choosing the Velodynes

18. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

You could get the NSP1 set from JandR for $250 shipped free and get a pair of N-38's from Buy.com for $200 shipped free. I have the N-38 floor standers and they are excellent speakers. Then you'd have your full 7.1 setup for only $450. [​IMG]
    Opps. Just notices that they aren't in stock at buy.com. Nevermind. [​IMG]

19. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

20. Russell Osborne

Anyone here tried bestpriceaudiovideo.com? They have reasonable prices on JBL speakers.