What's new

Need help...not sure what may have happened (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I'm using a h/k AVR-7000 receiver as a pre/pro with a Sherwood 9080 amp as my power source. Everything is plugged in to a Monster Power HTS 2500.

I just found out my HT is on the same circuit breaker as my office (2 PCs always on). My wife plugged the vacuum cleaner in to an outlet in the office and we lost power to the HT (which was on) and the office. Simply too much stuff on the same breaker.

A quick re-set of the breaker restored power but there was a problem in the HT.

There was a very loud hum coming out of all 5 speakers. If I switched to stereo mode the hum came only from the L&R speakers. You could hear the source material under the hum but the hum was the dominant sound.

What happened to my amp? -or is it more likely the receiver?

I then tried disconnecting the Sherwood amp and powering the HT via the receiver's amps. This didn't work either. There was no hum but there was no sound on any input. If I turned the volume to the highest level and put my ear to a speaker I could faintly hear the source material...but it was very faint.

The receiver is the common piece in both scenarios...I guess it's more likely something bad happened to it. It was on its way out anyway. I hope nothing happened to the amp. Is there any way I can test it (I don't have an extra receiver or preamp laying around)? What could have happened here?

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Well, I don't know what the Monster device does or says it does but a vacuum cleaner, like any other device with a motor in it, will tax that circuit tremendously for a fraction of a second when it first comes on. This is why lights flicker when the refrigerator comes on, etc. It's also the reason why my computer UPS beeps when my wife turns on the vacuum cleaner upstairs on the same circuit as the PC. It is possible that this surge fried something.

Have you tried unplugging the receiver for 10 seconds (from the wall outlet completely cutting off the flow of current) and then plugging it back in and seeing what happens? It's a long shot but worth it to try. It is possible that the sudden loss of power left something in the receiver in a munged state.

You may want to invest in a UPS which should offer better protection against such problems.

good luck,

--tom

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Thomas.

Unplugging everything did occur to me. I left it unplugged overnight. I'll hook everything back up this evening and see if there is any change. (I hope there is!)

I opened the Monster Power unit to see if a fuse had blown. It's fuse looked in good condition. Perhaps there's a fuse inside the receiver and amp I should look at too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks