What's new

Need help moving cable modem from on PC to other (1 Viewer)

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
When I plugged in my cable modem from my roomate's computer into the new one, it doesn't recognize the new device plugged into the ethernet input (which it always has for USB). So I go to the add new hardware option, and it doesn't recognize any new devices; however, looking at my Device Manager, it DOES show "Sis 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter", though I don't know if that signifies any existence of an Ethernet modem being connected to said card. Using XP on my new PC, 98 on my old one. I'm scared.

+Someone just told me that it's trying to get an IP from the modem, went to command prompt and typed 'ipconfig/renew' . It sat there for a minute and came back with an error specifying "unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Do you know if you internet provider binds your service to your MAC Address? If so, then going to another computer won't work. If this is not the case, make sure that the ethernet port is setup for DHCP (it should be by default). If you're running Windows XP you shouldn't need any drivers for it. Sorry I'm not of much help. If I think of anything else I'll post again.

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
Not sure about the MAC thing, but the Cox booklet that came with the modem says one can change computers, but simply says to copy TCP/IP info from original computer onto the other. How do I double check the DHCP thing?

Alan Curry

Agent
1) What is the service provider?
2) If the ethernet card is showing in the device list then it is installed. The cable modem will not show up.
3) If the service provider does not bind to the MAC address (all ethernet devices have a unique MAC address) like SethH stated, then do the following procedure:

a) Turn the power off to the cable modem and the computer.
b) Wait 5-30 minutes.
c) Turn the cable modem on. Let it go through all the diagnostics and, depending on your modem, a solid cable light.
d) Turn on the computer.

If this doesn't work then you will need to call your provider. Most cable modems will get the ethernet card MAC address and cache it. To clear the cache, the modem needs to be turned off for a period of time. Sometimes even after the power off, multiple ipconfig's /release (renews) might need to be done.

Good Luck,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks