What's new

Need Help! Laserdisk Question. (1 Viewer)

Mike_Reznik

Stunt Coordinator
I'm posting this tread on behalf of a friend of mine. He has a Pioneer Elite CLD-79 Laserdisk Player. He want's to upgrade his reciever but was told that he needs to make sure that the new reciever can decode AC-3 or the Laserdisk audio won't decode correctly.

Is this true? I always thought that AC-3 was just another name for Dolby Digital. Does the Receiver need to be LaserDisk compatable?

If so, can you please recommend some decent receivers around the $500 price range that can decode AC-3.

Thanks!

-Mike

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Yes, AC-3 is another name for Dolby Digital. But DD is encoded differently on LD than on any other medium, and it requires an extra step to decode it. You're looking for either a receiver with a built-in demodulator or a standalone demodulator. There was a recent thread on suitably equipped receivers, and it should still be on the board. EDIT: Here it is:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ighlight=demod
BTW, not at all LDs have DD tracks. They only started to appear in 1995, and LD was effectively dead just a few years later.
M.

Greg Foan

Stunt Coordinator
Typically you can find an AC-3 RF demodulator on E-bay for $120.00. This will allow you to use almost any DD equipped receiver. BTW that's a great laserdisc player.....wish it were mine:) Tell your friend that if his receiver will decode DTS, that it passes through the digital out from the laserdisc player.....no extra equipment necessary......not very many DTS encoded discs released though.
Cheers
Greg

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have a sony tae 9000es preamp that does a great job on my 79 elite. You can find them used now for a decent price.
It has mucho inputs and is able to be updated through SW updates from sony.
Quite a bargain

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks