Need Help: Is this a Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Kontos, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Ted Kontos

Ted Kontos Stunt Coordinator

I've been wanting to get into SACD for awhile now. This weekend I went around checking my local stores and found that all Sony 775 changers were gone, except for a floor model at CC, that had a $169 tag (new). Of course, they had no new ones left, but the salesman offered to sell me the display model for $139. It had the remote, but I forgot to ask about the manual. He told me it's been on the floor about 4 months, but not consistently running (although whenever I've been in there it seems to be playing). I know "burn in" is desirable for these units, but do you SACD folks think I should go for it, or possibly a new Sony 500 for $170? Or should I wait for the next developments in this area? I don't want to spend much on the unit, so an expensive universal player is out right now. I really don't need a new dvd player at this point, either. They did offer the Sony 1-year warranty, BTW.

Thanks in advance,
    Ted

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ted, I'd go for the demo 'CE775 if everything looks proper operationally and functionally over a new 'NS500V. Aside from the fact that the 'NS500V offers DVD playback, which you do not need, and the 'CE775 offers the convenience of a changer, the 'CE775 is the better audio component. $139 is a pretty good deal for a demo unit. I've heard of some people here getting the demo units for as little as $70, but many times, those folks did not get the remote. I think the stores make it up as they go along when it comes to prices for open-box items. Anyway, if you get the 'CE775, make sure Circuit City will still stand by it for 30 days (full refund if not satisfied). I don't know how they handle open-box items.

One nice thing about the Circuit City SACD kiosks, as compared to those at Best Buy, is that Circuit City usually has a plastic guard over the front panel of the 'CE775, which ostensibly prevents people from stealing discs, but also protects the player. If your Circuit City had this plastic guard over the player, you can be pretty sure that it has not been abused by people opening and closing the drawer constantly.

You mentioned the possibility of waiting for new players from Sony. Thus far, Sony has still not announced a replacement for the 'CE775. I am convinced that Sony is not going to issue one. I've heard it said that Best Buy and Circuit City will be replacing the 'CE775 with the DVP-NS775V DVD/SACD player at its SACD kiosks. The 'NS775V is the only budget SACD player Sony has in production.

If you not comfortable buying the open-box 'CE775 and the 'NS500V does not appeal to you, your next-best option would be to increase your budget and buy a new 'C222ES for around $350 from Oade Bros., J&R Music World, or OneCall. There are benefits to doing that if you can. The 'C222ES is a better CD and SACD player than the 'CE775 (especially better with CDs, and you get better build quality, a coaxial digital output, gold-plated RCA jacks, the five-year ES warranty. Of course, the new 'C222ES runs over twice the price of the open-box 'CE775, so I can understand if you don't want to spend that much.

Best of luck in your decision. Let us know how you make out.

3. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

I'd have to agree with Keith. I wanted a CD changer that was a step up from the basic entry level models, and the 222ES definitely sounds good as a CD player (I haven't tried SACD yet). "You get what you pay for" was never more true than in this case. Even if the SACD format goes nowhere, it's nice to have a component that, when it comes to CD playback, offers better audio performance than the vast majority of DVD players available.

4. Ted Kontos

Ted Kontos Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys for your input. Sorry I've taken so long to reply; been busy. Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought the display model SCD-CE775 today while I was in CC for after-Thanksgiving sales. Got them down to $129. Everything's set up; sounds great, but not having a manual I've got a question: How do you adjust F/C/S/SW speaker levels from the player? Can each speaker be adjusted or is it a balance-type thing? If it's balance, can you hear the adjustment while you're making it or is it a trial and error method? I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thanks,
    Ted