What's new

Need help installing Kenwood Woox Powered Sub (1 Viewer)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Hi all,
I got a Kenwood Woox compact powered sub. I'm going to install it underneath my passenger seat. The wiring for the sub is in a harness(much like on an aftermarket headunit). Everything seems to be in order except I can't figure out how in the world to connect the power cable to the battery. Here's a picture of the connector on the end that's supposed to connect to the battery from two different angles.I know it's the proper end because that's where the inline fuse is.
removed picture now that i have it installed :)
I've never seen a connector like this and the manual doesn't really indicate anything, it also doesn't show any piece that I'm missing so I have no idea what to do. Can I crimp a regular O connector on it(that I run the bolt on the battery connector through)?Any ideas?
Second, if I'm going to use preamp inputs on the sub. I am gonna install the sub on the passenger side but I need some advice on how to actually run the cabling. I understand how to release the door trim in order to get underneath the carpet, but as for running the power cable to the battery, how do I get it through the firewall? I've heard there are some premade holes, but how do I actually run the wire through there, attach it to a bent coat hanger to snake it through or is there a better way?
Thanks for any info, this will be my first time installing an amp and or powered subwoofer so I'm bit nervous but I'm confident I can do it. Thanks
Edit-I think all I need to do is get a skip on ring connector that will fit on top of the tip of the power wire. Is that it or do I need something else?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
It's called a "bullet connector" , it's a man so go get a female connector, wire up your battery as usual and connect with this.

OR just cut the end off and connect to the battery as usual.

As for running the cable.... you right, look for any hole that run from the engine bay into the car. If you need to drill a hole because you can't find a hole mark both sides and drill a pilot hole. Make sure you use a rubber gromit to "finish" the hole. That way the insulation won't rub off and the amp short out.

Make sure you run the RCA cable down the other side of the car, or you may induce noise into your system OR just use the speaker level inputs from you rear speakers and skip that step!!

Brent
By the way, you should be able to run the wire, between the firewall, by hand.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Thanks for the reply Brent. I'm feeling alot more comfortable with the install now that I know what I need to connect the cable to the battery. I'm definately gonna use the preamp inputs though. Speaker level would be a pain plus the sound quality probably wouldn't be as good. Anyhow, out of curiousity, say if I didn't run the cables on opposite sides(but ran the cables like a foot or more apart). Would I have the problem with noise then do you think? The only reason I ask is because I'd like to avoid pulling up the carpet on two sides of the car but if there's a real chance of inducing noise I'll go ahead and run them on opposite sides.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Well I got it installed tonight. Wasn't too bad, I found the grommet above the brake pedal and ran the power cable through it. I then ran the power cable around the back of the dash, connected the remote turn on, and used some 6 ft gold plated RCA cables as my preout cables. I then ran the cables under the carpet(the hole in the carpet around the heat duct proved to be a perfect spot to run the cables) and connected the remote and put it underneath my parking brake.
The verdict? I'm impressed. It sounds a bit boomy if you crank the level much above half with the volume on your reciever loud but if you leave it around half it's fine. I set my decks preout at mid with a sub level of 4 and i set the crossover on the sub at the lowest setting, 60hz. It sounds a bit boomier with it at the higher settings. It was really a cinch to install and sounds quite good. It's also totally hidden and takes up no cargo space.
The only problem(and this is quite minimal) is that I'm getting abit of interference. It might be because I had to bundle the power and signal cables together(which I know is a big no no but my cables weren't long enough unless I bundled them).It's definately not engine noise or alternator whine though, When I change tracks, you can hear a slight barely audible "rumple" through the sub.It may have happened to the regular speakers to it's just that i never noticed it with just them. It's hardly noticeable and with the engine running I didn't hear it at all.I might try moving the power wire closer to the door cill since it is longer than the others. If anyone has any easy suggestions on how i might go about eliminating that please let me know. Otherwise it's no big deal. All i all for me this is a great solution. Taking the job of putting out the bass off of my speakers is great too as I can crank the radio now and they sound much better. If you're like me and don't need a ton of bass and want something concealed and that doesn't take up cargo space, this puppy is for you. About my only complaint is that they didn't include an O ring to connect the power cord to the battery but a quick trip to radio shack fixed that. Anyhow hope this helped. I can take some pictures if you like and post them here.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Sure, I'd love to see it.

I think the thunp you here is a slow acting mute circuit. Not much you can do.

Brent

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Brent, I went ahead and ziptied the power and signal cables on opposite side of the floor. I didn't have noise problems but a bit of extra precaution can't hurt. Plus it allowed me to tidy things up a bit better underneath the carpet.
Anyhow here are some pics
http://homepage.mac.com/dfbennett/PhotoAlbum12.html
Edit-I gave it a test run after seperating the power/signal cables and low and behold I don't hear the slight "rumple" when changing tracks. It wasn't bothersome before but now I think it's totally gone.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Looks pretty cool!!

Can you actually feel the bass??

I'm kind of suprised that you can fit anything under the seat. I didn't think many new cars had enough room..

The only thing I'd do is find a way to hide the remote easily.

Brent

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Brent, yeah you can definately feel the bass if you're in the passenger seat. It sounds really nice too. As for the remote, It's velcroed down so i can just pull it up and stuff it underneath the seat next to the woofer if i need to.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Well after giving it a solid few days of listening my verdict is a big :emoji_thumbsup:
Very nice bass that is noticeable but not headache inducing. My friends commented on how good it sounded as well. We listened to a wide variety of music on it(ranging from Electronica that really bumped to remastered classic rock, to poorly recorded classic rock) and it provided a nice kick in all of those situations. I really reccomend this for people who want a bit of a bump in the low end without sacrificing a ton of space. I was amazed how well it fit under my passenger seat and even more amazed at how good it sounded. It's not as loud as the single 10" i had in my old car but it's definately somewhat comparable, though I think the mounting location helped that out quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks