Need HELP in locating speaker parts.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndyXolepa, Jan 22, 2003.

1. AndyXolepa

AndyXolepa Auditioning

Forum readers:

Any help on this one would be deeply appreciated. I have just about finished building an Adire Alignment Tempest sub using 21 inch diameter Bristol sewer pipe. This stuff is 5/8" thick and can be used to fire Scuds. Getting the miscellaneous parts was no problem.

Now, using the same pipe, I am beginning to build two Pro Audio style subwoofers for my son who is beginning to dabble! in the DJ arena. The drivers are 18" Adire Maelstroms. Here is the problem - I cannot find two-piece speaker grills for these babies anywhere.

Does anyone have a source?

Andy (xolepa)

p.s. The waffle style grills I deemed inferior as objects can pass through them when the drivers are top-firing.

2. Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Pierce
    What you need are some acoutically transparent manhole covers [​IMG]

3. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

I'm not sure what "two-piece speaker grills" are. You can always build a frame for some tough metal window screen and put it in front of the drivers...

4. AndyXolepa

AndyXolepa Auditioning

Andrew: your a wise guy, and if wasn't for the fact that my name is also Andrew, I would say that I don't like your name.[​IMG]

Dave: Thanks for the suggestion, but I am looking for a clean solution. Two piece grills consist of an adapter ring with mounting points in sync with the driver mounts and a grill section which slip fits over the ring. Adire and many vendors carry the 15" size. I need 18" versions of the same.

Since the Maelstrom design requires 6" ports, does anyone have a source for them?

Andy S (xolepa)