1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Need HELP in locating speaker parts.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndyXolepa, Jan 22, 2003.

1. AndyXolepa

AndyXolepa Auditioning

Forum readers:

Any help on this one would be deeply appreciated. I have just about finished building an Adire Alignment Tempest sub using 21 inch diameter Bristol sewer pipe. This stuff is 5/8" thick and can be used to fire Scuds. Getting the miscellaneous parts was no problem.

Now, using the same pipe, I am beginning to build two Pro Audio style subwoofers for my son who is beginning to dabble! in the DJ arena. The drivers are 18" Adire Maelstroms. Here is the problem - I cannot find two-piece speaker grills for these babies anywhere.

Does anyone have a source?

Andy (xolepa)

p.s. The waffle style grills I deemed inferior as objects can pass through them when the drivers are top-firing.

2. Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Pierce
    What you need are some acoutically transparent manhole covers [​IMG]

3. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

I'm not sure what "two-piece speaker grills" are. You can always build a frame for some tough metal window screen and put it in front of the drivers...

4. AndyXolepa

AndyXolepa Auditioning

Andrew: your a wise guy, and if wasn't for the fact that my name is also Andrew, I would say that I don't like your name.[​IMG]

Dave: Thanks for the suggestion, but I am looking for a clean solution. Two piece grills consist of an adapter ring with mounting points in sync with the driver mounts and a grill section which slip fits over the ring. Adire and many vendors carry the 15" size. I need 18" versions of the same.

Since the Maelstrom design requires 6" ports, does anyone have a source for them?

Andy S (xolepa)