Need help in identifying 1960s sci-fi film

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert Dunnill, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

On a late-late show in the mid-Seventies, I saw a sci-fi film, probably made in the second half of the 1960s, where the U.S. had become a one-party fascist state, led by a Hitler-like figure referred to as "The Leader," and where security was maintained by an SS-like organization called the Internal Security Forces, known by its acronym of ISF.

I've never seen it since, and I'm wondering if it has since been released to DVD.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks, RD

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    That sounds like one of the plot threads in the British film SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN, which starred Vincent Price, Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. The other plot thread is about a serial killer and severed body parts. It is on an MGM DVD double-feature (along with THE OBLONG BOX).

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Since we're talkin' movies, I moved the thread here. And, Peter, the movie Robert describes sort of sounds like The Monitors to me. Robert, were the forces running the country from another planet? And was there a cameo appearance in it by U.S. Senator Everett Dirksen? The film I'm thinking of is based on a story by SF writer Keith Laumer.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Might be, Jack. I've never seen "The Monitors". Here's the plot synopsis from All Movie Guide:

Yes, Sen. Dirkson is listed in the credits.

5. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

You aren't thinking of SLEEPER are you?

6. Robert Dunnill

Oops. :b

Thanks for the help so far, but none of the descriptions so far fit. Also, drama may have been a more descriptive genre than sci-fi (there was nothing comedic about it).

As I remember, the plot of this film centered around plainclothes police officers who were members of a resistance movement against a fascist government, which had been voted in due to a breakdown in social cohesion. The climax involved a raid on an installation of some sort, which entailed a battle with the ISF.

The production was American, and so were the actors.

RD

7. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

I'd ask someone involved with the Pyschotronic Film Guide. They would be the ones who would know.

8. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

It's called Shadow On The Land and it was an NBC TV pilot. I don't think it has been shown on TV in long time. I used to have it on VHS from a late-night TV screening someone lent me, but I don't have it anymore. It's a pretty shocking movie, disturbing in its prescience. Director Richard Sarafian is more famous as a character actor than a director, most of his work as director has been in TV movies and TV shows. The rights are now with Sony (Columbia).

9. Robert Dunnill

Your comment about prescience is on-target, for it was the sight at a border crossing of the inscription "Department of Homeland Security" on a Customs officer's uniform patch that jarred the long-buried memory of this film back to the surface.

The one and only time I saw this film was on late-night TV in around 1976; then or now, I didn't realize how rarely seen this production was.

Thank you!

10. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

There's a novel called The Man In The High Castle by the great Philip K. Dick that has a similar theme, with German and Japan running America after they win World War II. It's a fantastic read - like all of PKD's books!

11. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

"Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah BATMAN!! ...I mean LEADER!!"

Simpsons quote... sorry, couldn't help myself.