Need Help In Hosting My Own Website/Mail

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles Bober, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Charles Bober

Charles Bober Stunt Coordinator

A few months ago, a friend of mine helped me register a domain and hosted it for me. Now he's getting out and I need to not only find a place to host, but also need to learn what to do.

I saw the other thread regarding hosting and I've contacted a few companies to get the ball rolling. But here's where I'm confused: right now, all I want the hosting site for is for my own e-mail domain. In the future, I might put up a site but now it's only e-mail. I don't know how my friend did it and I want to learn how. Can someone help me out? This seems like an easy thing to do. A crash course would be greatly appreciated. Another question: can I have my own e-mail server?

Thanks in advance.

2. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

Yes, you can run your own mail server. I use one of my spare linux boxes as a mail server to automatically download all my mail from 4 Pop3 accounts and filters them for spam before I even see them.

Things you'll need (this is for Linux)
    A mail server program - Postfix (I use this) or Qmail
    A pop3/imap server - courier-imap
    Fetchmail - grabs your email from other accounts
    Procmail - filters mail based on various settings

If you just want someone else to do your email for you, most hosting packages provide you with several pop3 accounts and as many if not more email aliases (forwards).

3. Charles Bober

Charles Bober Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply Rob. Here's what I want to do. Since I have my own domain registered, I set-up 2 e-mail accounts and have been using Outlook as my client, as well as web access from anywhere. I want to do that again. But I'd also like to set-up either an Exchange server or Linux mail server. I also have Lotus otes R5 server as well. So I can go either way.

Specifically my question is this: after I secure a hosting spot, how do I set-up the e-mail part with the domain name and e-mail accounts I've already set-up?

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

There's a number of ways to do email. One of the easier ways is to register (or transfer) your domain to Namesdirect. They have an email forwarding service which will forward any number of email addresses to other addresses. For example, if your domain is mydomain.com, you could forward [email protected] to another address, such as [email protected], and get your email that way. You can also set up a MX record in DNS if you want to run your own email server (I recommend you have a static IP address if you do this). Let's say you have a Linux box on IP aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd running sendmail or another SMTP server on it. You can set up a MX record on namesdirect for your domain that routes all email to aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd, and then set up accounts (e.g. charles) on your Linux box, and then email sent to [email protected] will be directed to the charles account on your email server.
    If you run your own email server, make sure it's configured properly to not allow third-party relaying, as spammers can hijack your server and send out spam from it if you don't block this.
    KJP