What's new

Need help in hookup (1 Viewer)

crossing23

Grip
Real Name
Marilyn
Hi everyone,
I would really like to learn how to hook up my PC to my TV.
If there is a way to do this please tell me in idiots language, because I have no idea how to do this. ( trust me I will not be offended):laugh:
I have the Panasonic Tv...TH58PZ700U....Sony DVD Blu-Ray-S300...Bose Lifestyle V20...DVR from Cox..Motorola DCT-6412.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Marilyn

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what computer you have, but it appears your TV has a VGA input which is the standard Video cable that computers have used forever. This will get your Video up.

It may not give the greatest performance since it is analog, but the most simple way would be to connect your Computer VGA out to the TV VGA in.
I'm not sure which other connectors on the TV you are already using

VGA connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then enter the "Display" section and set your resolution to 1280x1024 is your video card can go that high.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
There is no perceivable difference between DVI, VGA or HDMI for PC use. VGA works fine and dandy!

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Actually, on some sets certain resolutions are only supported on HDMI, not VGA. 1920x1080p on this set for example, I think the VGA only goes up to 1366x768. So there are sometimes advantages to using HDMI (or DVI->HDMI adapter) if you have a video card with digital video output.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

You may be right on the resolution, I was going by a CNET article which mentioned the 1280x1024 number. I didn't check whether that was the max or the optimal PC setting.

From the manual it looks like the PC input supports VGA, SVGA, XGA (1024/768), WXGA (1280/720), and SXGA (1280/1024).

With a DVI/HDMI connection surely it will take the full 1920/1080 since if the computer can output that resolution.

crossing23

Grip
Real Name
Marilyn
First of all I want to thank you all for trying to help me.
This is where I am...I see where the 15 pin cable is I take that is for the video. I am not finding a USB spot that is empty. I only have 2, they are both being used for HDMI..1st one for TV...2nd one for DVD.
What I do see, in the same area of the 15 pin cable, actually just under it is a spot for a push in type plug...next to it says audio. Does that sound right?
If so, what type of plug do I ask for at Radio Shack, and did anyone decide what is best for me...VGA or HDMI ?

Marilyn

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

USB spot? I think you mean HDMI spot. There is a slight resemblence but the connectors are different size+shape and not at all interchangeable. Whether you use VGA or HDMI depends on your PC's video card. What connectors does it have? It has DVI or HDMI IMO you should use HDMI for the connection. Use component video + audio (set of 3 video cables, usually marked green/blue/red, connected to Y/Pb/Pr jacks respectively, and 2 red/white audio cables) to connect your DVR instead.
If the video card only has VGA, then use VGA, though if you need to maximize display quality you'd maybe want to get a new video card.

For the audio, for the VGA, you just use a 3.5 mm stereo minijack cable, male to male. It's the same as a cable that connects a computer to typical powered computer speakers. If you use HDMI instead, you probably have to find a 3.5mm -> RCA cable adapter, and connect that straight to your sound system.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...TH42PZ700U.PDF

Page 42 of the manual

Right below the 15pin PC connector is a single plug labelled "Audio In" that is for your PC. This accepts a standard 1/8inch (3.5mm) audio stereo miniplug that usually goes from the audio out of your PC -- I think standard color output on most computers it is green, but I'm not sure if that is 100% so you may need to check your manual.

Belkin® 6-Ft. 3.5mm Mini Stereo Dubbing Cord - RadioShack.com

Amazon.com: Belkin 6ft Mini Stereo Dubbing Mini Plug/ Mini Plug: Electronics

One of many at Monoprice:
For only $0.46 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 3.5mm Stereo Plug/Plug M/M Cable - 6ft | 3.5mm Audio Cables

You might be able to use the HDMI in of the TV, but then you will have to bump one of the others to component or use an HDMI switch. That would also depend on what kind of Video outputs your computer has. The 15pin/Minipin combination would likely be the easiest to see if you like the result. I'm assuming since you already have a DVD/BR you aren't planning on using your computer for movies.

crossing23

Grip
Real Name
Marilyn
Thank you so much for all your help,the showing of the wires and especially the book page should help me alot!
Marilyn

crossing23

Grip
Real Name
Marilyn
This is what Monoprice reccomended. Do you all agree? I'm talking about the VGA cable.

HOME > CABLES > SVGA Cable with 3.5mm Stereo Plug > Super VGA HD15 M/M 25ft CL2 Rated cable w/ Stereo Audio and Triple shielded

Super VGA HD15 M/M 25ft CL2 Rated cable w/ Stereo Audio and Triple shielded

• Original Value* : $32.22
Quantity Our Price
1 $10.74
2 - 9 $10.38
10 - 19 $10.02
20 - 49 $9.67
50+ $9.31

• Availability : Back Order

• Average User Satisfaction Rate
rated by 10 user(s)
(100.00%) Click here to review!

Estimated Time Arrival: 2/10/2009

Product ID

Related Categories

Video Cable - HDMI

Video Cable - RCA Component

* Original value is for reference only. No sales may have occurred at this price.
Large Images Description Knowledge Base Customer Review Write a Review
Super VGA HD15 M/M 25ft CL2 Rated cable w/ Stereo Audio and Triple shielded
Looking for a way to connect both the video and audio for your computer system? These convenient cables save you the hassle of running a separate set of cables just to get sound. Monoprice is proud to offer these high quality SVGA Cables with stereo audio connectors. They feature a low loss, TRIPLE shielded design to keep out RF and EM interference. They also come with durable molded HD15 connectors with thumbscrews for a secure connection and molded 3.5 (1/8”) mini plugs. Great for connecting high resolution monitors and hi def TV’s with PC A/V inputs. Comes with a lifetime warrenty for peace of mind.

VGA connections are also commonly referred to as HD15, DB15 (a misnomer), PC in/out, RGB and RGBHV.

*Monoprice continually strives to improve its product line to bring our customers the best products available. Therefore, changes may be made to listed specifications without prior notice. Item recieved may not match photo or specs shown.

Live Chat by LivePerson

Live Chat by LivePerson

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks