Need help in hooking up VCR through Denon 3802 so I can record TV!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Stephens, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Scott Stephens

Scott Stephens Stunt Coordinator

Dec 23, 1999

I just got a Denon 3802 and I need help in hooking up the VCR so I can record from my satellite. Though I hardly use my VCR any more, I still record things here and there from time to time.

Right now, I've got my satellite's S-video output running into my 3802. I've also got my VCR hooked into the 3802 via a composite cable with an S-video adapter. (I also have a DVD player hooked into the 3802 via S-video as well). Finally, my 3802's S-video monitor out is running into my TV.

I can watch VHS by selecting the VCR function on my receiver, but since the VCR isn't hooked into the satellite receiver I can't record, and I'm not sure how to hook up the VCR so i can record from satellite.

Do I need to ditch the VCR's hookup to the receiver and run the composite cable into the video IN on the satellite receiver? Also, what to do about the audio hookups? If I need to hook up the VCR through the satellite receiver, I'm assuming that I'll need to run the audio L/R cables into the audio IN on the satellite receiver as well. Obviously, I'm a little confused here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

May 29, 1999
    Scott: If the dish receiver doesn't have 2 complete sets of outputs, you still have a couple of options...(I'm assuming that your VCR is HiFi stereo, right?)

1. Run from the dish to the VCR and then onto the receiver. (You can buy an S-video to composite converter (that will convert either direction) at Radio Shack for $19.99 (15-1238.) There are also cheaper sources for the converter on the web if you want to mail order ( comes to mind.))
    This type of hookup will allow you to retain your fully S-video hookup to the TV and it will allow you to tape in full stereo via the VCR's aux inputs from the dish. One drawback is that you must ALWAYS switch on and run the VCR on the aux input when watching the dish. The other drawback is that by converting the S-video to composite and back compromises the benefit of the dish's better quality video.

2. Still go ahead and buy the S-video to composite converter and hookup the Denon's VCR1 output jacks to the VCR's aux inputs. Then, set the Denon's separate record out function to the sat/dish input. The only drawback to this hookup is that you must ALWAYS leave the receiver on to be able to record anything. But you don't need to have the VCR on if you are just watching the dish. And, since the dish output remains S-video at all times, you get the best quality picture when directly watching the dish.

Which should you use? If ease of daily use is important, and the video quality doesn't suffer too much, then #1 would work ok. But if absolute video quality is a must, then #2 is the route to choose...
  3. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Jan 17, 1999
    I'm sure the Dish has two sets of outputs. You would simply add a composite cable & audio l&r from the dish to the vcr & you are done.

You will end up with the dish going to both the vcr and the denon.