What's new

Need help in HI (1 Viewer)

Kent Wo

Agent
Hey all,
Okay I've finally got my house ready to move into and want to pick up a HT system. I need ideas on what to get and also if possible places that I can get them. The only problem is that I live in Hawaii and there aren't too many B&M left that sell HT products. There's C.City and a couple other stores. The stores that used to carry PSB and Paradigm stuff closed down. Here's my budget.

TV: $1000 (want at least 34" flat screen)
Speakers (for 5.1 set up), Receiver, Woofer (I have an old JBL 100): $1500

I'm not sure what else I'll need. I have a Pioneer DVD player already (bought it since it plays all my VCD/SVCDs). I appreicate all your suggestions on the system and especially if you can tell me places I can get them from.

I also need suggestions on a broadband cable modem so that me and another person in the house can share the cable modem line. It will only be used for that purpose and wireless would be preffered. Faster is better for both of us.

Thanks for your suggestions, with them I can at least have a starting point to begin my research.
Thanks

Kent Wo

Agent
BTW: I just wanted to add some information. The room is around 300sq feet but is connected to a dinning room so it will actually be pretty open. I'd like to spend 1500 for all the components (including TV) if possible, but 2500 is the max limit. I liked the sound of some Paradigm speakers I tried a year ago, but the store recently closed so I can't test them again. I'd just like some suggestions on some components so that I can begin doing research and figure out what would best fit my needs.
Thanks

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
Sam Sung carries Klipsch, which some rave about and others dislike. I shop at Goodwill (Waialae & Koko Hd in Kaimuki) and Salvation Army in Kailua, myself.

Kent Wo

Agent
As far as I know Sam Sung closed down a year ago. I'm leaning towards picking up some Polks from CC or B&W from Audio Life if I can afford them. I'll also check out that place they have in Kaimuki somewhere that sells that type of stuff. I regret not picking up the Paradigms I wanted before they closed down.

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, well, I should have said. It's not called Sam Sung. It's in Sam Sung plaza, and has a name something like "Exotic Home Theater Sounds". I was there a week ago.

Kent Wo

Agent
Here's what I've found so far:

TV
Right now I have no other components, I'm starting the house from scratch and decided to get the TV first.

Choice 1: Panny CT32HX42 $1,299. I've heard some negative comments about this set, but the picture looked good in the store.

Choice 2: Sony KV32HS500 $1,299. I've searched for this set, and haven't found too many negative comments, besides something about the geometry. I'm not too sure what that is yet, but it is a little worrisome.

Choice 3: Panny CT34WX52 $1,999. I know its way above my price and I don't watch too many movies in that format, but it just looks so darn good.

Choice 4: Toshiba 32HF72 $1299.

I'd like other suggestions. I haven't found too many Toshiba's around so I can't really shop for those.

Speakers:

Main speakers/Surround
Choices:
1. B&W DM303
2. B&W DM600
3. Energy Take 5 system
4. Monitor Silver (not sure the model #)
5. Definitive Tech 350
6. Definitive Tech 100

Receivers:

Dennon 1403, 1603 or Onkyo SR600

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks