Need help in choosing speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by John Roger, May 14, 2004.

1. John Roger

John Roger Stunt Coordinator

I have a dealer from whom i am buying new speakers.He told me dozens of models.I am not sure which models are good.Since most of them are not on display, i cannot decide.You guys need to help me.

Today he told me there is a Bose 301,Mission bookshelf and a JBL ready.More models will be there soon.He can get other models if i order.

Also he told me 40W for amp is laughably low.

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

that's entirely relative to a number of factors. 40w is a bit low if you plan on filling an entire auditorium with sound. on the other hand, 40w may work fine for a small entertainment room.

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

When it comes to speakers, I think there is a lot of "value" in the following setup:

Fronts: Paradigm Titans
    Rears: Paradigm Atoms
    Center: Paradigm CC-170

You should be able to get all of these speakers for $600 or less from your dealer. Add a sub to provide the bass that you need and you'd be all set.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Heck, I'd take 40 watts of "real" power vs. 40 watts of "paper" wattage. If the power is real, then, it can be used with much success.

I wonder if your dealer sells Denon receivers? The AVR-1804 doesn't even put out 40 watts when all channels are driven. However, it is a very good receiver value -- great sounds and lots of great capabilities for its price.

You just have to be careful of opinions. They can be both good and bad. Ensure that you arm yourself with enough information before going into the audio store so you are prepared to take the good information that your dealer has to provide, and set aside the "B.S." that he tries to tell you.

With that information in hand, you'll be O.K.

5. John Roger

Mine is a small room and the amp does pump loads of sound.But at top volume settings.He told me that the amp will have to take much load when i connect big speakers and get damaged after sometime.

He sells Denon, Onkyo, HK etc.Ya he does want me to upgrade and is willing to take mine.Is it worth?

6. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

i would go to another store if they don't let you listen before you buy.

Johnny

7. John Roger

No they do! But can't tell em to bring all the speakers.They have many bose and mission on display but wasn't so good.

8. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Find another store. Those aren't all the speaker brands. And this thread would go much better in the Speakers forum, where you could also read other similar threads and get some ideas that won't get posted here...