What's new

Need help in choosing a sub!!! (1 Viewer)

lcd327

Auditioning
Real Name
Louis
Hi all,

Need a little help deciding what sub to get. With so many available choices on the market, i can honestly say i haven't the slightest clue as to what brands/subs are good and which are phony's. Here's my setup if this helps:

Receive:
Pioneer Elite VSX-92THX
Display: Pioneer Elite Pro 111FD
DVD Player: Pioneer Elite DV-48AV (upgrading to Blu Ray Shortly)
Center Channel Speaker: Boston Acoustics P450
Front L/R Speakers: Boston Acoustics P430's
Rear L/R: Yamaha NS-IW480C In celiling speakers

As you can see I've invested quite a few dollars into my set up and fully understand the sub is the "heartbeat" of the system thus don't wanna make any wrong decisions in choosing. Sub will be used for movies/music/games etc so need an all around great performer. Tight/deep base, room filling acoustics, aesthetics, etc.. The room is approx 18 x 15 and i believe a solid 10" unit should be sufficient. I'm looking at a budget of around $500 - $600 dollars for the sub + cables etc. I greatly appreciate all your input!!!!

Thanks in advance!!
Louis

lcd327

Auditioning
Real Name
Louis
thanks...that's interesting, i didn't even consider a circular sub..i'll def look into it. I've seen numerous postings about SVS subwoofers although have never com across one and actually been able to hear it perform. How do they measure up to the more common sub brands like Polk, Def Tech, Mirage, Velodyne, etc? I have little knowledge about the brand other than seeing it posted here and there.

I was in bestbuy the other day to pick up the new batman dvd and noticed they carry a Martin Logan sub ($679). has anyone ever tested any of their subs? I know the legendary quality their floor standing 2.1 stereo speaker sets offer, is it safe to assume their subs are of the same quality caliber?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You will find that most high end speaker manufactures do not do a good job with subs (not all - I know there are exceptions). I have yet to hear a similarly priced sub beat an SVS. I bet there are folks in NJ that would be glad to let you hear one. Come over to south central PA and I will be glad to demo mine (I have an SVS older box sub). And I even have an Velodyne (although much smaller than the SVS).

If you search a bit you will find several sub shootouts that compare SVS with more B&M brands. Very interesting reading.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Other internet direct brands are Epik Subwoofers, Hsu Subwoofers and Elemental Designs. Most are partial to SVS because the founders met here in the DIY section where they were both building subs. On that note, DIY is the best value if you have the time and tools.

-Robert

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
A friend that lives almost 4 hrs. away from me, has an SVS cylinder sub. I call it "The Beast". That thing is awesome! I've never heard a sub hit lows like it did. There were even notes you couldn't hear, but could feel. I told my wife that when we could afford one, we would have one.

I like the cylinder shape too. It has a smaller foot print, than some of their box subs. I've never heard another sub that can even come close to it. But I've not heard all brands of subs. Some say HSU can hold their own with SVS, but I don't know that, personally. My next sub will be an SVS........
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

lcd327

Auditioning
Real Name
Louis
sweet...i think i'm going to try my luck and get an SVS sub. i'm a little weary about purchasing something i can't see or test in person before buying...but SVS seems to be one of the most recommended sub brands on many of the A/V enthusiast forums.

I'll post back with a review once it arrives to let you know what i think of it!

steelers_geek

Auditioning
Real Name
LeRoy McCreery
I like my Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus! It hits very nicely. It's a 12" that cost $549. I can't seem to find anything I don't like about it!

lcd327

Auditioning
Real Name
Louis
the only thing i might not like about the svs is the size...looking at the dimensions online this thing is HUGE.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Yes, they are. That was one reason I like their cylinder subs. Smaller footprint, but is a little tall. But I can easily live with the height...........
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

A sub has to be large to accomplish its mission. You can go with a smaller sub, but there is no getting around the laws of physics. The size of the enclosure, the size of the driver, and the power (watts) all work together to produce the low, flat, hits you in the gut sound we desire.

lcd327

Auditioning
Real Name
Louis
funny i was at 6th ave yesterday and listened to the mirage "super cube" and a few other subs in the same price/size range . all fairly average sized only about 12" cubed.. at low volume they all sounded clean but once the volume got turned up even a little they became extremely sloppy. i could hear the cones literally rattling and clicking as if it were going to explode. This is what these stores sell for $600?? it was a joke.

that being said, I fully understand the physics part of it. It's almost impossible to get the deep, solid and continuosly tight bass at high(er) volumes from most of these little subwoofers.

How are the cylinder subs as opposed to the cubes? are they as tight and deep, or is there much performance sacrificed just because of their shape?

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

SVS will kick the ever lovin' BEJEESUS out of those brands. When I was watching "The Incredible Hulk" a few weeks ago, my PB13 Ultra was very convincingly conveying the impression that the Hulk was stomping right through my listening room. SVS rules!

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris

:laugh: Great post Alan. I can't see SVS using your quote on their website but that was a great pitch for their subs.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

:D

It's just rare in this hobby to have a product or a company you can stay with for (literally) years and be as happy today as you were back when you first discovered them, you know? I probably change my gear a little less often than most folks in this hobby, but I do still change/upgrade. Well, with SVS it's always just been a matter of, "okay, I have more space...I'll just get a bigger SVS!" That's not a knock against the other guys in the sub arena, but from top to bottom...from customer service, to turnaround time, to tech support, to overall product performance in my home...I've had immensely positive experiences with the SVS guys in every aspect of the purchase.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Huge is relative. Here's a pic of a DIY sub. It doesn't look impressive until you realize that is an 18" driver. The box is the size of an industrial refrigerator.

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
SVS, I have two tucked in a corner....I can't say I hardly notice them or anything because the shake the entire room. They are just tall but take up a little of 1 foot of floor space.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks