Need Help Identifying DVD Case Style

ResearchGuru

Auditioning
Real Name
Lacey
Hello all,

I need some help identifying what kind of DVD case this is and if you know of any manufacturers or suppliers who still produce them. (See attached pictures).

The case reminds me of those old Disney VHS Molded plastic clam shell cases, but I am having no luck finding something similar in DVD form. The outside feels a lot like a binder (likely cardboard covered in soft matte plastic with a clear insert cover) and the inside is some kind of matte molded plastic.

I have not been able to identify a manufacturer or distributor of these cases - I am only able to find hard plastic Amaray-style cases or small wallet-sized, usually transparent clam shell cases.

Can anyone help out? Please feel free to share around to other sites and get back to me.

Thank you,
Lacey

Attachments

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Premium
Real Name
Dave
Many, many years ago when I used to produce my own DVD's I got the majority of my cases from American Digital. They were always a great but I can't say anything about them recently since my last order was from 2007. However if I needed cases I'd probably go there now.

Edit to add I did not search for your particular case but if anyone has them my guess would be Am-Dig. Good luck.

Reactions: ResearchGuru

David Norman

Premium
Not exactly the same, but as soon as I saw the case I immediately knew I had at least one similar case and which item it was since it was so unusual I don't know if I have another similar DVD. I always remember hating it b/c it wouldn't stay shut since it really doesn't have a latch. After years sitting on the shelf - closed and pressed between a shelf of otehr DVD, it actually does mostly stay shut now

Disney;s George of the Jungle had a White Case that was very similar in design and it does indeed remind me of hte VHS Clamshell. This was produced in 1997 in the first year of Consumer DVD and DVD Profiler has it #92 in my collection ($24 for a barebones single layer Movie). It actually could be Disney's very first DVD release (certainly first in my collection)

My outer case is more smooth plastic the the inside looks similar
No manufacturer name obvious inside or under the cover art. but it does have molded into the inside left fact -- US Patents 5353932, 5351823, 5421456, 5544748

Patents are registered to
Assignee: American Sealcut Corporation
Inventor: Kurt Kollinek

DVD Profiler just lists it as a Clamshell Case

Last edited:
Reactions: ResearchGuru

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kagy