Need help identifying a motherboard

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jeff Jacobson, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

My brother was recently given a third-hand computer with no documentation. On the back of the case is a label stating that the computer is a "MyFavoritePC model: 9/99".

I am looking for any documentation, BIOS upgrades, drivers, etc. I can find for this computer.

The computer has an 8GB hard drive right now, and my brother would like a larger one. I know that some older motherboards require a BIOS upgrade before they can recognize larger hard drives, so I need to find some documentation for the motherboard.

The motherboard has a built-in "Intel(R) 810 Chipset Graphics card".

I tried using FreshDiagnose to identify the motherboard, but that didn't work.

Does anyone know of any websites or any other resources that would help me identify this motherboard?

Thanks.

2. Jeff Jacobson

My brother was recently given a third-hand computer with no documentation. On the back of the case is a label stating that the computer is a "MyFavoritePC model: 9/99".

I am looking for any documentation, BIOS upgrades, drivers, etc. I can find for this computer.

The computer has an 8GB hard drive right now, and my brother would like a larger one. I know that some older motherboards require a BIOS upgrade before they can recognize larger hard drives, so I need to find some documentation for the motherboard.

The motherboard has a built-in "Intel(R) 810 Chipset Graphics card".

I tried using FreshDiagnose to identify the motherboard, but that didn't work.

Does anyone know of any websites or any other resources that would help me identify this motherboard?

Thanks.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

5. Jeff Jacobson

Thanks for the links.

I think I found a link to the manufacturer's page by typing a number from the motherboard into a search engine. It looks similar, but the BIOS files listed don't seem to match. (When the computer boots up it shows a BIOS number VB4200. The latest listed on this page is VB415. Maybe I can find more info in the links you posted.

6. Jeff Jacobson

Thanks for the links.

I think I found a link to the manufacturer's page by typing a number from the motherboard into a search engine. It looks similar, but the BIOS files listed don't seem to match. (When the computer boots up it shows a BIOS number VB4200. The latest listed on this page is VB415. Maybe I can find more info in the links you posted.

7. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

Perhaps the manufacturer continued to offer BIOS updates for the motherboard after production of new motherboards was discontinued, and the previous owner updated the BIOS manually.

An old Dell desktop computer I have shipped with BIOS version A08 but I've updated the BIOS to version A11 myself. I believe the version I have installed was made available after the motherboard was replaced by a newer model.

8. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

Perhaps the manufacturer continued to offer BIOS updates for the motherboard after production of new motherboards was discontinued, and the previous owner updated the BIOS manually.

An old Dell desktop computer I have shipped with BIOS version A08 but I've updated the BIOS to version A11 myself. I believe the version I have installed was made available after the motherboard was replaced by a newer model.

9. Jeff Jacobson

I'm confused. Where would the original owner get a newer BIOS upgrade that isn't posted on the manufacturer's website?

10. Jeff Jacobson

I'm confused. Where would the original owner get a newer BIOS upgrade that isn't posted on the manufacturer's website?

11. Tony Loewen

Tony Loewen Stunt Coordinator

Hey Jeff,

I suggest picking up a freeware program called aida32. It will tell you everything you need to know. If the MB has sensors (temp, voltage, cpu fam rpm, etc) it will give you these values too. In the summary screen, it will provide you with links to any available updates for any of your hardware or software, including bios. It will even benchmark you memory read and write speed. I use mine very often, very helpful.

12. Jeff Jacobson

I tried a program called FreshDiagnose to identify the MB, but it could not find any info. (This program did find info on my current computer's MB, though.) Do you think that Aida32 would be able to find info on it when FreshDiagnose couldn't?

13. Jeff Jacobson

I tried a program called FreshDiagnose to identify the MB, but it could not find any info. (This program did find info on my current computer's MB, though.) Do you think that Aida32 would be able to find info on it when FreshDiagnose couldn't?

14. RandyMcc

RandyMcc Agent

goto "belarc,com" and download there utility. SHould give you manufacture and model Number.

15. RandyMcc

RandyMcc Agent

goto "belarc,com" and download there utility. SHould give you manufacture and model Number.

16. Jeff Jacobson

Thanks. Next time I have a chance, I'll have a lot of different programs to try on my bro's computer.

17. Jeff Jacobson

Thanks. Next time I have a chance, I'll have a lot of different programs to try on my bro's computer.