What's new

need help HT speakers for < $1200 kit (1 Viewer)

HungLe

Agent
Hi,
I am looking for an HT diy kit for < $1200 that would give me a lot of bang for the buck. I posted on
DIYAUDIO
and got several responses with ppl suggesting the Audax kit. I also did an extensive search on this forum and found that the Audax kit is highly recommended.
My problem is that my dad wants the front to be floorstanders not bookshelves. Someone on the other forum suggests for me to build the front as floorstanding but divide it into two chambers. One chamber for the drivers and the other for crossover,etc. This idea sounds good to me until someone else comments that since the baffle size is different, this would affect the performance. What is your comment on this?
Also I did extra research into other kits and also found that GR-Research kits are highly regarded.
A copy and paste from the other forum:
"I was thinking that one can get the pair of AV3 for the front $329, the AV1+ $300, and a single AV1+ $160 which all add up to about $788 versus the Audax kit which is about $610 at Madisound (all price doesnt include shipping).
According to GR-Research, the AV3 is very similar to the AV1+ besides that it goes a little deeper so I dont think timbre matching is a problem.
There's a $178 difference between the two but they are still in the same ballpark. How would the GR-Research system compare to the Audax? Is it worth the extra money?"
For the money and the usage (70% music 30% movie), which would you recommend? Is there any other kit that surpasses these two in performance for the money that I have missed?
Much thanks.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I love the GR Research A/V-1+'s and A/V-1's, so I'd have to assume the A/V-3 would be of equal quality. I can't think of another kit in this price range that would be able to touch it, but I also have not heard the Audax kits.

There is also Adire Audio. Several people around here have built their KIT281's which are two-way floorstanding speakers. I do have their KIT LCC (Large Center Channel) and it is excellent.

Brian

Al Garay

Stunt Coordinator
I am interested in the comparison as I'm also looking for a similar setup. Though, I'm not considering the Audax kit. I'm comparing the GR AV3 and AV1+ system versus a pair of Ellis Audio 1801.

It is apples and oranges. the Ellis 1801 would be if I was so overwhelmed by their performance that I could live happily for awhile having a 2 channel home theather system.
Blasphamy, but there are several 1801 owners who are very happy with that setup.

Fortunately, I will get chance to compare AV1+ and Ellis Audio 1801 on November 9th. I should know then what I prefer. I will post a review after that event.

Al Garay

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
My speakers were built by a "speaker builder" friend using all Dyna Audio drivers, including the 2 subs (2-10s compound loaded in each box)Drivers alone were over 5 grand but the point I want to make is about the difference between HT and Music. In my opinion distortion is distortion reguardless of what you are listening to. My speakers were built for accuracy and that they are, I may bump the bass a little for HT, but it doesn't matter if you are listening to music or gunfire the sound comming from them is right. A good explosion is just as important to reproduce correctly as is JWs "Bird on a Wire".

A

Anthony_Gomez

I use my system for music and home theater. I did NOT want to compromise music quality and I also had somewhat of a limited space....so I ended up with the EGO's

Price break down:
drivers/XOparts/terminals: 230 per speaker
plans: $60
enclosures:????
Shipping:???

you WILL need to mate these with a subwoofer. no if's ands or buts about it. Not a cheap route, but worth every penny I put in to it!!

Will Orth

Stunt Coordinator
Well Kits are ok, the best thing is to find the best drivers and make a x-over that works for that application I have tryed over 100 drivers and it depends on price in the end.

I want to make my own in wall kit simular to what I am using in my own set up but that wont happen for a long time as my family keeps me really busy..
Will

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Well Kits are ok, the best thing is to find the best drivers and make a x-over that works for that application
Aren't kits exactly that, but with the legwork on designing the crossover already done? Don't get me wrong, I can understand the desire to take pride in doing it yourself but how would the fact that it is a kit make it inferior?

Will Orth

Stunt Coordinator
Guy Usher::: HAY I AM A DYNAUDIO FAN I had #8 21W54 Drivers in my van back in 1989 in a 6th order box - 12 cubic ft and that to date is the best bass I have ever heard! bar none, sounded like a drummer in your lap! those drivers had problems with the tinsel leads breaking loose I still have #4 of them with rotted surrounds.. LOL

Will

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
HungLe, I'm a source for GR Research cabinets (I built the Alpha LS cabinets on their home page). I recently built a pair of A/V3's for a local GR Research customer and listened to them for a couple of days. A couple of friends came over to listen and one of them will sell his current towers and order A/V3 kits. I can recommend them for their soundstage and balance. Great value and fine for a music and HT (augmented by a sub of course) speaker. There are pictures of the pair during and after construction on the second page of my crude web site: http://www.geocities.com/hankbond/index

Patrick D

Stunt Coordinator
I have an HT set around the 1801's. Although a lot of people consider it kind of overkill, I find the accuracy of the units to be just insane and I love every bit of it. Watching Toy Story, you can hear every little pop, slip, beep, and foley effect in utter clarity. It's like having the voice actors right in the room with you.

Although the sensitivity is low, I can still easily turn them up past my comfort zone with an 85W amp. They do need a sub though, since they aren't going to hit you in the chest with that 20hz bass, but then again that's part of the design (bookshelf type).

Prior to these, I had a set of Diva 6.1's for mains and they just don't compare (but the bass was beautiful on those). If I hadn't gone 1801, I would have gone for the Ego's.

However... most people seem to be more than satisfied, for home theater use anyway, with the A/V 1's and SPCA kits. I would really love to set these 1801's up though, against the stuff from Adire (281's and the LCC -- just for dynamics).

HungLe

Agent
My main concern with the AV's setup is using one of the AV1+ as a center. I read articles about how the midrange is a problem when one uses a normal MTM configuration. The kit by Audax solves this problem by adding a dedicated midrange driver making the center 3-way. Is it possible to use the Audax center in the system or would timbre be a problem? Any suggestions? Thanks =)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
My dad is using 3 A/V-1+'s for his front 3 speakers and they sound very good. I do personally prefer a 3-way center such as the Audax center, the Adire KIT LCC, etc., but the A/V-1+ is still much better than most MTM centers. This is because the woofers in the A/V-1+ overlap the tweeter to get a much closer center to center spacing. Therefore you have to be well off axis before the usual suckouts occur. I believe Danny says that you can get a good 20-30 degrees off axis before this problem rears it's ugly head.

I personally use an Adire KIT LCC as a center channel and it mates very well with my A/V-1+'s. I went this route because I won the kit on another forum. Otherwise, I would have gone with a 3rd A/V-1+. Since the LCC works well with the A/V-1+'s it is possible that the Audax center could as well. But the only way you'll really know is to try.

Having said all that, 3 matching speakers is the best way to go when possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks