Need help hooking up new CP-72 (please)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom-DC, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Tom-DC

Tom-DC Auditioning

After thorough research on this forum, I've decided on my first DVD player (Pan. CP-72) - now I will have to hook it up when it gets here, and I want to be prepared (i.e. not look like an idiot in front of the GF - wouldn't be the first time however). Forgive my ignorance, but my experience is strictly with audio, not video, except for basic VCR hookup to the TV.
    I now have an NAD 7400 two-channel receiver that I will not be parting with, and may use with the TV if possible. We have an old TV with what I'm assuming are composite jacks (look like RCA - L,R), and no speaker jacks.
    ** Will I be able to connect the DVD directly to the TV like a VCR, or do I need a reciever?
    ** Can I use the AUX input to somehow hook the receiver (with speakers) and DVD to the TV for two channel sound?
    The DVD player has DTS and Dolby 5.1 decoding - how will this affect a new receiver/TV purchase?
    **If I decide to get a new receiver so I can get surround sound, does the fact that the DVD player has the DTS and Dolby decoders mean I can save money by getting a receiver that doesn't have DTS or Dolby Digital surround? Do they make surround receivers without Dolby or DTS? Any recommendations?
    I really appreciate any help. [​IMG]

2. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Good player choice, you shouldn't be disappointed. Let's work through your post, shall we...

3. Tom-DC

Tom-DC Auditioning

Thanks for the help! To follow-up:
    *I'm pretty sure this isn't an issue, but JIC - If I hook up the DVD audio out to the receiver, will the audio also go the receiver while watching TV, or will I have to disconnect the audio cables from the receiver and connect them to the TV?
    *Re: the receiver - I was referring to saving $ by getting a 5.1 CHANNEL receiver without DTS/Dolby surround decoders (if there is such a thing), since they are already in the player. Yes - for stereo sound I would use my current receiver.
    *Can I somehow hook up two receivers to SAME set of speakers? (So I can use one reciever for TV/Movies, and one for pure, clean, uncorrupted 2-channel music).[​IMG]