Need help "getting over the hump"!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Brink, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Jeff Brink

Jeff Brink Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I should start by saying that I have become a very unproductive worker the last few days no thanks to my quest for finding the "perfect" HT system for my budget! Thanks to this forum, I have greatly increased my knowledge, which is still novice at best. Unfortunately, I have kind of become stuck on what direction to go. I'm hoping some of you can lend me some guidance on choosing the right receiver and speakers. (Seems the only thing I am sure of is the fact that my sub will be an SVS 25-31cs!) If it helps any, my room is approx 13 x 17 and my other components currently consist of a Sony 36HS20 tv and a Sony DVPS7000(I think) DVD player.
    I've narrowed my speaker selections down to the following packages, aside from the aforementioned sub:
    Pkg 1 - All Klipsch, RF-3II's, RC-3II, RS-3II's
    Pkg 2 - All PSB Image, 5T's, 8C, 10S's
    Depending on the receiver I buy, I will either get a Klipsch SC-1 for the center rear channel or PSB 1B's for the rear effects channel.
    Here are the receiver choices that I have come down to:
    1. Yamaha RX-V2200
    2. Pioneer Elite VSX36TX w/ A-35R 2ch. amp (7.1 power)
    My biggest concerns in purchasing both the receiver and speakers is their reliability (construction quality)and longevity. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with any of these companies. Obviously, I have researched all websites and of course, they all think their the best! If my wife gets her way, this may be the last system I buy for the next 15 yrs so it has to last! I appreciate any help anyone can give me in "getting over the hump"![​IMG]

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I have had experience with all of those brands except the psb speakers. If you are looking for durability I know that Klipsch could easily last a lifetime if you wanted. I believe that receivers are a little more touchy than speakers as far as durability goes (more electronics to get hot I guess). I think if you want a really nice receiver either one of those would serve you nice. Pioneer is making a nice push on this forum and Yamaha has always been one of the well received brands. Remember to keep your receiver cool and dont stack things on it if you are looking for keeping it as long as you do. Just a side note, there is no way you will be able to resist the upgrade bug once it bites you, be careful [​IMG]

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

for speakers, the answer is easy! just pick the ones you like better! [​IMG] seriously though...it sounds like you've done your homework - both brands are great and well regarded. it will all boil down to whichever sounds better to you.
    i'm not familiar with the receiver models you listed, but they're both great brands. i think you'll be happy with either.
    since you're looking longterm, i'd think about flexibility. does it have enough inputs, is it upgradeable, etc.
    no matter what combo you choose, i think you're going to have a great setup.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Ted Lee: You hit 1000 Posts! Congratulations![​IMG]
    Jeff: I got my first "real" receiver, a Yamaha 793 about 7 years ago. It has survived my use, being left on 24/7 for 2 years while hooked up to my computer for games and music, then it became my daughters college system. And it still works. Good, solid, dependable.

5. Jeff Brink

Jeff Brink Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input!
    I guess I should have mentioned in my initial thread that I have a slight hearing impairment. I'm not always sure that I am hearing the same thing that "everyone" else is - if you know what I mean. In any case, I can "hear" differences between the two brands of speakers, but I think they both sound good in their own way. Just curious about build and longevity. Don't want any problems, especially in the near future.
    Anyway, thanks for the help[​IMG]

6. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    All makes/models of speakers sound different, and whatever character of sound you prefer is entirely subjective. Every manufacturer 'voices' their speakers differently, and various designs do various things well (and badly).

That is why you should listen to all speakers in your price range, and select them based on what you hear - how close it comes to hearing live music, speech, or sound effects.

7. Larry Cole

Larry Cole Auditioning

I've also got a hearing impairment - good news is that you can buy cheaper components and it won't make any difference. Actually, not true. My hearing aids have four mics and a remote control which acts like a graphic equalizer. I just have to remember to turn on my "surround sound" (back microphones) when I'm at the theater or using my home setup. But we probably don't hear what folks who haven't damaged their hearing (yet) do, so buy what sounds good to you.

8. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I'm going to echo that I feel Klipsch should receive a positive mark as far as longevity. I've personally had three sets of Klipsch as well as quite a few other speakers and never really had a problem except with one pair when I somehow damaged the crossover. Despite the fact that I was beyond the warranty period by several years and didn't even have the receipt, I called Klipsch and they sent me, without charge, a replacement. I also have friends that have owned their Klipsch speakers for literally decades and, to my knowledge, none have experienced problems. And...I absolutely love my new Klipsch reference speakers.

9. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Jeff. I will probably get a hard time for saying this but, I will say it anyways. Klipsch has a huge following and is a GREAT speaker but it is very revealing some would say bright. The Yamaha is known for the same thing, very revealing but could be considered bright. The psb are Great ,known for being warm, more lushness but maybe not as revealing. Whatever you do it is EXTREMLY important that you take this into consideration. The Klipsch or psb may sound great in the showroom but if matched with the wrong equipment could be very very dissapointing....In my opinion Klipsch is a great match with Denon, PSB might go with Yamaha or Pioneer

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor