Need help getting a sub that won't get me kicked of my apartment!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Rolando, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

I am in an apartment for the next year and am setting up a small HT (under $4K budget far all A/V).

For Audio getting a VSX 1014 or Elite 52TX. Want to get speakers and SUB for under $2000 Canadian. Less if possible.

What worries me is the sub. I know you can't really control where lower frequencies travel to. The placement is pretty Good in that the corner the living room is in shares no wall with a neighbor really but I am worried about down stairs. I don't have hardwood floors so that might help. I have hard tile which will likely make hearing the sub difficult.

As it is a prefer a tight sub. I hate loud "boomy" subs. So what do you guys recommend? should I skip the sub altogether and go for 5.0 (last resort)? would a side firing sub help much more than a bottom firing? Would it help with neighbor and tile floor?

Which ones are good in the low cost category. Like I said it's a small room and small budget and have neighbor to think about.

Thanks.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I would look at the new SVS PB10. At $400 US it's supposed to be amazingly impressive, better than anything you'd find in a store at that price. If you want to keep out of trouble w/ the neighbors don't under-buy on a sub, just turn it down. If you have problems keeping the volume under control or if the LOW low frequencies are causing problems use the bass peak limiter and/or dynamic range compression features that both receivers you're looking at have. Get as much sub as you can and use it when you get the chance or until someone complains. Discression and features meant just for this reason are a much better option than buying a weak sub.

As a plug for the 1014TX, it's a great unit. I just got mine last week and replaced an Elite 43TX. The 52TX is the exact same unit w/ just the addition of a few minor features (RS232 port, 12V trigger, composite video and analog 2ch outputs for second zone). For those features it really wasn't worth the $200 - $300 difference. The 1014TX is an amazing value.

3. JonathanL

JonathanL Extra

What about one of the VMPS subs - possibly the VMPS Smaller, that's only about $400 and it's supposed to be a pretty nice sub.

4. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

was looking at the PSW404 from Polk Audio. any comments?

5. Brian Elwood

Brian Elwood Stunt Coordinator

I had that problem for a number of years. All you can do is play the sub only when needed and on weekends. Not all the time.

People in other apartments are normally OK when you play it for a movie and on weekends but they will tire of it on a constant basis.

I also recommend asking them. NORMALLY they will tell you that it's OK and once they do that it's hard for them to complain for a movie or two.

apartments suck for quality HT but as long as your a nice, likable and carign guy you can get away with it.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    When it gets late, I put my setup in "Source Direct" which sets all the speakers to large, and turn my sub off. I lose the impact of the sub, but I am not without bass. Haven't had any complaints, and I live upstairs.

For the price, you would be wasting your money with a Polk sub.

7. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

wow, strong words John. So do you mean for about $350 US that sub not worth it or you mean I should put in more to get a real sub.

I take it this is not a sub that fits the description of what I am looking for?

8. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

For just $50 more you could get the SVS PB10, which would be a VERY noticable upgrade in extension and output (when you get the chance to use it).

9. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

is that available in Canada? Does anyone know?

10. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

SVS is an internet only company. You can order a PB10 an have it shipped. Might want to be ready for charges getting it through customs though.

Tony

11. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

If you're only going to be in that apartment for a year like you said, don't skimp on the sub. Until you move just turn it down. After you move, you'll be glad you have it.

12. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

The problem with VMPS subs is that they're not powered. VMPS Designer Brian Cheney cites the lack of a really "good" (audiophile-grade) plate amplifier. (Though IMHO the Parts Express 500w and 1000w plate amps come close). If VMPS subs were powered, they would certainly make an interesting additon to the lineup that's out there. They use nice American-made hand-built 12" woofers with woven carbon fiber cones and a proprietary down-firing passive radiator.

13. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

I agree. I just started a thread about my 15" tempest DIY sub. I live on the 6th floor of a 7 floor building. The amp is only up to 1/3 volume, and it still crushes. The key to this is talk to your neighbors. Invite them over for a 'movie night'. They will be much more tolerable if they know you and think you're okay and realize that they may have the chance to watch U-571 on your system.

BTW the DIY tempest will run you 350-400 USD. You CAN'T beat the performance/price ratio.

14. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

are SVS and VMPS the same company or are you talking about a different company Rory?

Any Montrealers here ordered an SVS sub before? any idea on how much I should expect customs wise?

There seems to be nothing but high praise for these around here, anyone out there NOT recommend an SVS sub?

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

Polk subs are just not that great to begin with, and as noted, there are more than a few subs around the same price that will leave the 404 whimpering in the corner, not the least of which will be the SVS PB-10 (based on specs).

SVS and VMPS are definitely not the same company.