Need help - get me away from Bose

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian_B_inswfla, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Brian_B_inswfla

Hello all,

I'm new here so be gentle. I currently have a Bose Lifestyle 12 system that was purchased under duress. (Heavy WAF) I was aware at the time of the sound quality issues when I bought it but it sounded better than what I had. (Nothing)

About a week after I purchased the system I bought a Yamaha YST-SW90 to add a bit to the low end. I used that for awhile and it worked great for music. I wanted more from my movies though so I recently purchased a Sony SA-WM40. This greatly helped the low end situation so I now need to fix the rest of the spectrum. I even have the WAF taken care of within reason.

After much reading on this site and others I have become enamored with the Outlaw 1050 as a replacement receiver. I like the idea of a 6.1 option though it is proprietary. Also, the many inputs and the ability to use preamp outputs also seems to be promising for future upgrades. I would appreciate any comments or opinions related to this choice or other possibilities.

Onward to replacement speakers. I will probably have a budget of between $600 and $800 to purchase 2 fronts, 2 rears, and a center channel. I am limited to bookshelf only speakers due to my rather large entertainment center. (112" long) I have looked at several packages including the following:

HTD Level 3 - 4 bookshelf mains, 1 center

Cambridge SoundWorks MovieWorks 208N - Complete setup w/sub

JBL - 4 S26 bookshelf, 1 S Center

PSB - 4 Alpha Intro LR, 1 Alpha Intro CLR

nOrh - 4 nOrh 4.0, 1 nOrh 4.0 center (wood)

Energy Take5.2

I am probably 80% movies, etc. and 20% music. I also have what I consider to be a large room (15'x22') so I need something with the ability to fill the room. I don't mind maxing out my budget and possibly even going over slightly to get good sound but I am also not averse to spending less for equal quality. My thinking was either get the HTD Level 3's and save a few bucks or blow my whole chunk of cash and get the nOrh setup.

I've tried to include as much information as possible. If I missed anything don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

Brian

For reference, the rest of my system is as follows:

Sony KP51HW40 51" Widescreen HDTV

JVC XVS65GD Progressive DVD

RCA VCR unknown model

Time Warner Digital Cable (waiting for HDTV availability)

Microsoft Xbox with High Definition pack

Nintendo Gamecube

2. Brian_B_inswfla

Hmmm. I had hoped for a bit better response than this. 35+ views and no replies. If you have any opinions on any of the above listed speakers or any others I didn't mention fill me in. For that matter, opinions on the Outlaw would be welcome also.

Thanks,

Brian

3. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

I have no personal experience with the speakers you listed. However many many people LOVE paradigm. They make good speakers, for the price range your in. And for that price, Klipsch RB5's would be the best. Better then paradigm to my tastes. Just do SOMETHING to get rid of bose.

4. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

Since you room is a nice size, this is what I would go with for the budget:

(2) Sets of Paradigm Titans: front and rear

Center: Paradigm CC270

That should be doable for the $$$

5. Doug Drake

Doug Drake Stunt Coordinator

Brian - Check out the Klipsch Quintet system. It is great with movies, but only so-so for music. If you can swing a bit more money, check out what they call the Klipsch Synergy System 6. It is composed of the SB-1 fronts, SC-.5 center, and SS-.5 surrounds. It does movies AND music great in that price range.
    More info:
    Quintets: http://www.klipsch.com/products/cutsheet.asp?id=43 (you can skip the KSW-10 since you already have subs).
    System 6: http://www.klipsch.com/products/cutsheet.asp?id=42
    I don't work for Klipsch -- just own a few...
    Doug

6. Brian AM

Brian AM Stunt Coordinator

I just sold an acoustimass 10 set of Bose speakers and purchased a set of Axiom Audio speakers to replace them. There is a night and day difference between the two.
    I would check out Axiomaudio.com, decide which speakers you want and drop Marc a line at Audioshop. He is located in Canada and saved me about $400 with the exchange rate. He also ships 2nd day air which is really great when you can't wait... [​IMG] The M3ti is very very reasonably priced and I am using M22ti se's for my surrounds. The speakers aren't broken in yet and I expect they will only get better.
    Goodluck!

7. Brian_B_inswfla

Hi again,
    I just want to thank everyone for your input. I'm checking out everything you have suggested. If and when I make a decision I'll be sure to let you know. We'll all share in my upgrade bliss. [​IMG] If anyone has any other suggestions for speakers I may not be aware of please don't hesitate to post.
    Thanks again,
    Brian

8. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

The Paradigm recommendation is a good one to add to your list. Also, look into Swan Divas. Very good speakers in the sub $1000 price range, I'm told. And very nice looking too.

9. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

For the rears I suggest the Paradigm dipole line to match with Paradigm fronts. For 80% movies I much prefer non-directional surrounds. Your mileage my vary.

I use Paradigm ADP-170's in the rear and Vandersteen's up front. Works great even though the are voiced a bit different.

10. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

You may want to take a look at Polk's. You can get quite a deal on the RTi series as they are releasing new models. Personaly I have RT25i's all around with a CS245i center. I plan to upgrade them but I really like them given thier price range.