What's new

Need help from those with Sony V444ES or similar... (1 Viewer)

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit
After a year of having the thing I think I'm ready to set it up properly.:) Can anyone offer up some optimal settings and/or tips for a newbie? I know I can't be helped on the user dependent settings like the speaker distance, db levels and stuff like that but help on the other settings would be nice. Thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Nobody can tell you what your settings should be, you have to calibrate to get achieve the appropriate settings based on your gear, your room, and your tastes.

"Other" settings such as what?

Start with an SPL meter (must) and a test disc of some sort, most often Video Essentials, Avia, or Sound & Vision's HT Tune Up.

Mark Davenport

Stunt Coordinator
I'm very familiar with this unit, and can give some tips now and when I get home post my exact settings. First off use the Cinema Studio EX soundfields. I use C. These are amazing you get use out of all your speakers and is very comparable to DTS:Neo and Logic 7 in quality. Set virtual speakers to on, and set the screen depth to either medium or large but turn on the screen depth this makes a huge differen in sound. I have setting for the main EQ and the surround eq whihc work well together, I will post those later. Let me know how many speakers and if you have a sub or not.

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit
Thanks Mark, just the kind of tips I'm looking for. Keep'em coming. Oh and I have your basic 5.1 setup.

Mark Davenport

Stunt Coordinator
Hi
Here is my complete setup for this reciever. I've owned 5 different high end sony's since 94 so I have alot of experience with them. I also bought the DA5es but returned it after a week because some features were missing that the V444es had, namely the Surround EQ option. I have 9 speakers in my setup

4 mains 2 surrounds 2 subs and a center channel. The second pair of mains and the center are powered by a Sony ES TAN-9000 amp. Your mileage may very with these settings but it may be a good place to start. I like warm earthy tones that are not to bright but not sluggish either I also like a good punch of bass.

Here are the settings I use I'll put anything that varies from default. I got these by a few months of tweaking with my ears, no SPL meters or tests just tweaked to what sounds best to me and once I got to these settings I haven't had to touch it.

Sound Field (Cinema Studio C) for music,movies everything

(Level)
Center +1
Rear +8
DTS LFEMix +10
Sub +6

(Surround)
Pro-Logic-off
Effect- 2 notches from all the way up
Screen Depth -Mid
Vir Speakers- on
Rear Enhancer- on

Bass Gain +10
Bass Freq 1.0 khz

Mid Gain +5
Mid Freq 2.0 khz
Mid Slope (Wide)

Tre Gain +5
Tre Freq 2.0 khz

(SETUP)

LFE Highcut >180 hz
Rear SP > 180 hz
Center> 180hz

Rear HGT (H)
Rear (Side)

Rear 3ft
Center 4ft
Front 4ft
Sub (Yes)

Rear (small)
Center (small)
Front (Large)

(EQ)
FRONT
Tre +3 2.2 khz
Mid (Wide) +6 2.0 khz
Bass +10 1.0 khz

REAR
Tre +6 2.7 khz
Mid (wide) +7 3.1 khz
Bass +6 444 khz

CENTER
Tre +4 2.2 khz
Mid (wide) +6 2.2 khz
Bass +3 314 khz

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks