need help from the experienced!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chris:-/OV, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Chris:-/OV

Chris:-/OV Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I'm a newbie to speaker building and I've never attempted to build a speaker before. Where can I find out about how big the box should be, how to integrate a crossover into the system and how to tune the speaker. Also, I don't know anything about how the hertz and db's work. Need help, like "speaker building for dummies"

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

This comment is not directed at you. "I feel like a broken record" because I keep posting this but you're new and I'm pretty new myself, sort of.
    The Great Sound Stereo Speaker Manual by David Weems.
    Whoa, just noticed. Can you get this book in S.A.?

3. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Another great book is the "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" by Vance Dickason. Excellent and easy-to-follow reference for all elements of speaker design...

4. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I would build a kit first before trying to design a speaker.

5. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

I agree on the kit thing. I'd suffice to say I know a good bit about speakers and tuning them. But I still don't feel that I could design a really high quality speaker better than the people who put together kits can. Read, read, and read some more, and then I would say build a kit (or a predesigned and tested system) to get a feel for it before you try designing your own. There are lots of affordable kits out there you can try out.

6. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Agreed. My first speaker was a kit and I think my second speaker will be, too. (Even though I've been learning everything I can, for about 2 years now.)

7. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I agree that Vance wrote a great book. I also agree that kits are the best way to get started. However, for somebody looking for an assortment of proven designs to work from, the David Weems book is easier to understand, has 6 projects that he actually built, plus additional proposed projects to experiment with. The only actual project in Vance's book is an HT system, a very good one though. I found David's explanations of how to measure speakers, along with pictures demonstrating the process much easier to follow than the Cookbook.

8. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Chris, I am in no way an expert on the topic, but I will say this... If you spend a lot of time reading and searching through this forum, you will learn a lot. This is an awesome place to learn about the simple or the advanced.

About your speaker question, what kind of speaker are you wanting to build? Building a subwoofer seems to be one of the first projects around here. Pretty straight forward and simple, at least compared to a full range speaker. Learning how to design a good subwoofer tends to open the door to other projects like speaker kits or even designing speakers.

I'll agree that a kit is the way to go, if you want a good full range speaker. But if you have lots of free time, and want to experiment, then pick up one of the books above and go for it. Just don't expect too much from the first speaker you build!