1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Need help from someone with a Sony DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeEckman, Sep 27, 2001.

1. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I just purchased a new Sony DVP-NC600B DVD player, which although its a brand new model, Im pretty sure most Sony DVD players work the same way.
    I replaced an old first generation Zenith DVD player, and theres some things Im not sure the Sony can do, and I wanted to know if anyone could tell me if this is possible:
    1. Is there any way to directly access any part of the disc by entering in the time? For example, on my Zenith, if I wanted to just go to 1 hours and 15 minutes into the movie, I could hit the Display button, select time, and then type in 11500 and press enter, and it would take me directly there. Is there anyway the SOny can do this? If not, does anyone know of any other brands that can do this?
    2. Is there any way to skip titles? This sounds basic, but I cant figure out how to do it. Pressing the Skip button on the remote just skips chapters, I cant figure out how to skip titles, without holding down the skip button, going through every single chapter until the end of the title and then moving onto Title 2. This is very time consuming on a disc like Video Essentials, which has 20 titles.
    Thats about it...one comment I would like to make in case anyone is interested in getting a new Sony DVD player. It appears that Sony got rid of the cool menus they offered on their older models that could display the bitrates and which layer of the disc you were on for a MUCH more basic menu. The new models, both the NC600 and the NC300 models have ugly blue bars across the top of the screen and dnot have any of the extra features.

2. Kevin Stefanich

Kevin Stefanich Auditioning

I do not have an answer for the first question, I have never tried to dial up a specific time before.
    As for the second question, I have an older model Sony, the S500D, and the remote has a TITLE button on it. Pressing the title button will scroll through the different titles available on the disc. A friend of mine just recently picked up the same player that you have, and I helped him set it up, and I seem to recall there being a title button on the remote, possibly somewhere near the bottom.
    Hope this helps,
    Kevin Stefanich

3. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

To go to a specific time on my Sony DVD player, I press the "Search" button until the on-screen display reads "Time Search," then enter the time. This button also allows you to go to specific titles and chapters.
    The owners manual on my Sony player is very thorough. If your remote doesn't have a search button, I'm sure this is covered in your manual.

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Ken, Does this work on older Sony models. I have the S-300 and have never even tried this. I will have to look at my remote when I get home today.

5. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Marty,
    I have the DVP-S300 myself, so that's the player I was referring to. It isn't a feature I use very often, but it can be pretty handy sometimes.