Need help from Rotel owners - volume issue

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by rob_l, Feb 1, 2004.

1. rob_l

rob_l Extra

ARGGG.. I just typed this whole message twice and both times the message got deleted before posting (for different reasons)..so I'm going to keep this brief.

For Rotel RSX-1055 (and maybe 1065 owners):
    What is the volume you have your Rotel set to when listening to your different sources?
    Tuner ?
    TV ?
    DVD (movie 5.1)?
    DVD (CD 2ch)?

What speakers do you have?

Brief background on why I'm asking this? I'm trying to figure out why there's such a large volume discrepency, and whether it's normal. When listening to DVD or TV (set to 5.1), the volume needs to be in the mid 50s as normal volume. But when set to tuner, it's closer to the 20s, and similarly while playing CDs (from the DVD player). So I don't think it's the DVD connection since both the DVD and CD are playing through the same unit through Coax (no RCA).

Any ideas?

2. josh.s

josh.s Auditioning

I have a 1055 and below I've listed the various volume levels for different sources and their connections:

Digital Cable (coax) - 50-55
    Playstation2 (optical) - 44-50
    DVD player (coax) - 58-64

Keep in mind these aren't reference levels, but rather the normal listening volumes for me. I never use the tuner, but maybe I'll give it a try later and edit this post with a volume for that too.

I almost forgot - I don't have a sub (ugh), my mains are Magnepan MMGs running a phantom center, and my rears are some old Cerwin Wega floorstanders. I realize I need to upgrade and could really benefit from a matching center and rears, but the MMGs are so great they make it ok for the time being.

3. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

RSX 1055

Paradigm Monitor 7 cc370 Mini Monitors and Pw2200.

Normal listening levels

CD (optical) 45-50
    DVD (optical) 55-60
    Digital Cable (Coax for digital ch only) 35-40
    Cable (rca for non digital cable) 45
    XBox (optical)- 40-45

I hardley ever use my tuner so I'm not sure but maybe 30-35 ??

4. rob_l

rob_l Extra

Thanks for the responses guys. Can I clarify that your DVDs are using 5 channels while your CDs are using 2 channels? Also, is your DVD and CD player the same?

I feel a bit better now knowing that having the DVD up to 50-60 is "normal". It just seemed awfully high since the tuner and CD (2ch stuff) was as low as 25.

5. josh.s

josh.s Auditioning

Yes to both questions rob. Also, I just played around with the tuner for the first time and the volume for normal listening levels for me is in the 50s. Hope that helps and most of all enjoy!

6. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

I play DVD using Dolby Digital or DTS .

I play my CDs in 2 CH mode using the optical out of my Toshiba SD 4800 DVD. (The Dacs in the roteal are better than any cheap DVD or CD as far as I am concerned).