Need help from receiver/speaker experts! (sort of long)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jeff Pounds, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Jeff Pounds

Jeff Pounds Second Unit

OK,

So I really need some help from the receiver/speaker experts out there.

Several months ago, I posted about a problem that I was having with my Sony DB840 receiver. See this thread for reference.

Basically, I was having this intermittant problem of my receiver making multiple, very fast "clicking" noises associated with loss of the center channel while playing any multichannel sound source.... this included Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS and Dolby ProLogic, from both DVD and satellite sources.

While this was happening, if I switched to 2-channel mode, I could hear everything fine, although a lot of time the clicking would continue intermittantly.

The odd thing was this was completely random... it would happen most shortly after the receiver turned on and then the problem would typically go away after the receiver had been on for a few hours.

Still, I decided to take the reciever into to a local Sony authorized repair center here in town. They could find nothing wrong with the receiver and suggested that I "check my speakers."

So, I took the receiver back home and hooked everything up. Everything was fine for about a week and then all of a sudden it started happening again. However, this time it seemed much worse (more recurrant) and also something new started happening -- the receiver started kicking itself into "protect" on any somewhat loud soundtrack that I would listen to.

I decied that maybe I should send it in to Sony, because maybe the local guy missed something.

This is where I am today... Sony has now had my receiver for almost 3 weeks, and now says that they can find nothing wrong and suggest that I "check my speakers."

So, after all of that, I have a few questions:

1. If there is something wrong with my speakers, should I assume that it is the center channel, since that is the one that drops out?

2. What would be the problem with my speaker(s) that would cause this?

3. Could this also be some sort of wiring issue? I have my surround speaker wires going through my attic... is it possible that a mouse or something has partially chewed through a wire causing a short that would be causing this?

4. Any other thoughts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated... this problem is really driving me crazy. The random, intermittant nature of the problem is what is most frustrating... it makes testing to isolate the problem VERY difficult... [​IMG]

2. John S

John S Producer

Here is what you do when you get it back.

Take it to 2 channel only for an extended period of time. If the problem does not manifest itself.

It must be a speaker or wire problem.

The most common is a wire issue....
    next up the 2nd most common is a blown tweeter / driver in one of the speakers.

While the center speaker seems logical, it is not so cut and dry, any blown speaker can cause the AVR to react this way, and even stranger. Most AVR's can run without a center channel just by telling it the center is no longer connected, a sort of phantom center is created bewteen the two front L/R speakers / channels.

3. Jeff Pounds

Jeff Pounds Second Unit

John S, thanks for the response... quick follow-up questions:

1. If it is a wire issue, would it be something "physical" that I could easily pinpoint... i.e. missing insulation, chewed wire, etc.?

2. How can I tell if it is a blown speaker/driver in one of the speakers? I don't notice any difference in sound when the problem is not present. (Although I admit that I don't know how much I would notice if a driver was out on the center and/or surrounds, given the 5.1 setup and having my speaker size set to "small")

Thanks!

4. John S

John S Producer

You need to specifically track it down before going any further.

Most of the time, if I am confronted with an AVR that is going into protect. If I just re-do all the speaker connection it usually goes away.

5. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

Just connect them directly in your room with new wire. That way you can test with having to re run the wire.

6. Jeff Pounds

Jeff Pounds Second Unit

Thanks for the responses on the wire...

Can anyone give me any tips on figuring out if the tweeter or driver(s) are blown on my center channel or surround speakers?

Will it be totally obvious if this is the case?

7. MikeCin

MikeCin Extra

Michael
    I have a simular problem with the my Sony STR-DE845 making those clicking noises, I noticed that usually when it clicks, I loose the audio from the real channel speakers, And then when it starts clicking again, The sound on the rear speakers come back.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It should be pretty obvious if the tweeter is blown - there won't be any sound coming out of it. Put your ear next to the speaker with the sound low. Listen with your hand over the tweeter and without; if it sounds the same, it is probably blown. If there it sounds muffled only when you have your hand over the tweeter, the speaker is probably OK. Next would be to try swapping that speakaker and one of your other speakers to see if the problem follows the speaker or stays with the wire.

9. MikeCin

MikeCin Extra

Michael
    Anyways, My receiver hasn't been clicking today, But in the past, I noticed it clicking even while using the A.F.D. mode, I have my PC's audio connected to the reciver using the left and right RCA cables And it was clicking, I had no idea that it was causing problems with the surround until I was playing one of my DVDs last night, The DVD player is connected to the receiver using a coaxial cable for the dolby digital and dts surround. When it was clicking, The rear channels would go out, Then when it clicks a few more times again, The rear channel's sounds come back.

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

How are you attaching your wires to the receiver and speakers? Is it a bare wire connection? If so, all it takes is a tiny strand that you might not even see to cause this problem. If you're not going to use bananas or spades for your connections, then consider tinning the wire ends with some solder and then make up the connections.

11. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

Check the impendence of your speakers, and verify that the AVR is rated to accept that load.

The amps may not be able handle the load.